Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lens Protection / Case

Re: Lens Protection / Case

I use soft bags like this that are made for cell phones, tablets, etc. The 7" size works for a typical 150mm plasmat in a Copal #0, the 8" fits a 210mm in a Copal #1 or a larger 90mm like a Super Angulon or Grandagon and so on. They are just a few bucks, delivered.

I used to buy 4x5 monorail kits and part them out for profit. I ended up with a bunch of lens wraps for free so that is what I use. They work fine for me.

Cheapskate here:

I make my own boxes out of double-thickness corrugated cardboard and tape. The lensboards slide into the boxes between two cardboard "guide rails" and the lens caps on the lenses just touch the surfaces on either side, so the fit is snug. These are sturdy enough to stack in my backpack/lumbar pack and very compact.

Doremus

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    What's wrong with lens wraps? Daniel Stone makes really nice ones. I then put them in a Zone VI bag for 4x5 or a Gator Case for 8x10. If taking several lenses I use an oversized Gator case n put them next to the camera.
    There are plenty og good ideas in this thread. There is no one best method of storing, protecting and packing lenses. Its really a case of what works for you.
    In my case, I have used lens wraps. They don't fit my photographic personality. They collect dirt (well that's probably me) and pack a bit larger than I like, making irregular lumps.

I am also a bit haphazare ans slap-dash when in the field. And so . . .As described above; my lenses and most small items go into a case or little bag before goling into the shoulder bag or pack. In this way, if there is an empty bag or box laying there it means that there is something still to find in the tall grass before moving on. Experience can bea harsh and expensive teacher.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Eric Biggerstaff

Thanks everyone. The reason I am asking is that I just purchased the large size Orvis boat bag on sale for 50% off. The bag is perfect for my Deardorff 5X7 and all the things I need in the field and is completely waterproof as well. In addition, the bag has movable dividers which is a plus, but I just needed to figure out lens storage. I think the lens wraps are the way to go.

So, now I just need to sell my Photobackpacker set up, it is like new and lightly used. The system is terrific but I just don't really need it. So, look on the For Sale section if you want a great deal!
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Eric Biggerstaff

I went with the lens wraps from Dan Stone, love them! Best wraps I have ever owned, quality it tops, pricing is great and the colors are terrific!

Thanks Dan!
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Foamer

I've been taking old thick socks and cutting about 4-5 inches down from the top, and sticking my technika board mounted lenses in those. Works quite well. My camera bag is a soft drink insulated bag I bought from Walmart. It's a retro canvas design, and padded. It doesn't look like an expensive camera bag. I can easily fit my Chamonis 045n, three lenses, black t-shirt, meter, loupe, and about eight holders in there.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

https://photojojo.com/awesomeness/photorito-lens-wrap

Use a Burrito lens wrap and then finish it up with a lens mug for your drinks?

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-Coffee-.../dp/B007Y6O5ZE
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    I know of one guy who uses Tupperware-Type cases. Good protection, lightweight, a variety of sizes, and inexpensive.
    +1. I took my lenses on a date to the grocery store and found plastic storage things that fit juuuust right. I stack 3 of them in a large insulated bag from the Wal World - $8.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

I have a good supply of cases for lenses on 4x4 boards.
    Bruce