Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Arca Swiss Cube Axis Tension Adjustment?

Arca Swiss Cube Axis Tension Adjustment?

Could anyone advise on how to adjust the tension of each axis on the cube? (Beyond the tension adjustment knobs).

I am finding its unable to sufficiently lock down when changing film holders or shooting on angles with 8x10.

I am aware that it can be sent to a service centre in the US but the postage cost to send the cube across from Australia is prohibitive (hundred dollars+), especially if it's just a couple of allen key screws to tighten...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Arca Swiss Cube Axis Tension Adjustment?

Have you considered calling that repair center and asking them directly? A phone call is cheaper than a shipping form

Just a thought

My 8x10 arrived today and I think it's probably just too heavy for the Cube, especially at long extensions. I'm looking at alternatives now.

Rod supposedly uses it with his 8x10....

If it really is insufficient it would be a bit disappointing.

I would love to have a lock/unlock flip leaver for each axis once the adjustments are done...

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stone View Post
    Have you considered calling that repair center and asking them directly? A phone call is cheaper than a shipping form

Just a thought
    Will do.

It would be good to know whether the head is actually capable of "locking down"?

Quote Originally Posted by l2oBiN View Post
    Will do.

It would be good to know whether the head is actually capable of "locking down"?

I have a cube, and mine is "self locking"(aren't they all?). I don't see the Cube as being designed for large loads such as 8x10 monorails(even an F-line), especially at long extensions(360mm +). Mine works very well with my Linhof Technikardan 45S, even with the 450mm lens in use. The mounting area is too small, IMO, to properly stabilize a load the size(not just weight) of an 8x10 camera however.

Now I wouldn't shy away from a version that had actual locks however. But as it sits, I like it just the same. Very simple and easy to use and the self-locking gears haven't proven problematic whatsoever.

-Dan

The tension isn't user adjustable AFAIK. Yours may need to go in for service if your tension adjustment dials aren't working properly.

I've used my cube with an 8x10 F Line, while ok with a 150 or 210, it barely works with a 300
    others have made theirs work for 8x10 but for me it doesn't

The heaviest camera/lens I've used without much issue is a 5x7 p2 with a 120 and that wasn't the most secure

Works great with a 4x5 F line or even 5x7 f line and wide lenses

For heavier cameras I'm now using the Linhof 3d Micro with the QuickFix if I need precise leveling (no problem with a p2 8x10, quick fix is easier to mount a heavier camera in the field) or the Manfrotto 400 if I need to shoot down or at some angle (although I don't really like that head it works)

The tension adjustment knobs never seemed to have a great impact on mine. You might want to try cleaning off the curved surfaces and grooves the head tilts on. Tilt the head as far down as possible, wipe off the curved surfaces (top and bottom) and the groove on the inside, perhaps using alcohol to remove most of the lubricant, then tilt up as far up as possible and repeat.

Putting a heavy viscous lubricant on would change the feel but I don't know if it would truly prevent creep. It might also be hard to remove if you don't like the effect. I had the opposite problem. The tilt adjustment became really sluggish. I wiped off most of the thick, partially dried lubricant and the adjustments eased up.

jeff

Take a look on Linhof's Micro 3D. I used my 7x17 (450mm) on this head without issues.

Arca Swiss Cube Axis Tension Adjustment?

What makes the Linhof head better?