Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Photographic Heroes...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Your Photographic Heroes...

I've had the privilege of spending the last two years getting my MFA in Photography at MassART in Boston. There I've had the chance to get to know two of my photographic heroes, Abe Morell and Nick Nixon. Abe no longer shoots large format but Nixon continues to champion the 8x10 format. Through their connections I've had a chance to get a better, or more personal insight, to the work of people like Robert Adams, Lee Friedlander, and Frank Gohlke. They've become photographic heroes to me. It's been the marriage of cold reads of their work and their philosophy of picture making that brought me to admire their work.

Who are yours? Would love to hear everyone's insight and perhaps well all discover some new work in the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Your Photographic Heroes...

Any professional LF photographer who eats well is my hero
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Any professional LF photographer who eats well is my hero
    Wonder how small (or large) that list is!

Larger than you think. Although I qualify for that list, I am a hero to no one but my dog (and, once in a while, my wife). My list of photographic heroes (I have a few) will follow when I have time to consider. But the sun is out now and I have pictures to make...

Brett Weston, August Sander , would top my list.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Brett Weston, August Sander , would top my list.
    Sander is up there for me as well. I used to pass over his work for a long time as I only saw the work as reproductions in books... then I made a quick appointment at a local museum and they pulled some prints for me. Woof, they're great!

My current hero changes often, but the rotation has included David Plowden, Huntington Witherill, Michael Kenna, Ansel Adams, Brett Weston, Frederick Evans, WIlliam Clift, John Sanderson, Austin Granger,...

I'm not particularly cerebral about photography, so those are ones whose work I enjoy and whose visions and commitment to that vision seem unwavering. I've had little opportunity to interact in person with other photographers, so my choices are made based on their work alone.

My list would include Albert Renger-Patzsch near the top.

http://www.getty.edu/art/collection/...man-1897-1966/

I think my experience in school has solidified my preference for artists who just work... a lot. Seems these days we are so conceptually heavy that we ultimately come up with these projects / series and make work specifically for that. Whereas my heroes like Robert Adams and Friedlander have a camera on them 24/7 and just make so much work, piecing concepts together at a later date.

Geir and Kate Jordahl. Living heroes.

They are having a 40 year retrospective of their work at PhotoCentral in Hayward -- a photographic facility (gallery, darkrooms, digital space, classes, workshops, etc) they created in 1983. Show opening is on Saturday afternoon, January 28th. It is a bit of a drive south, but I am going to try to make it.

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/J...id=5tOx_EooPZU

My heroes because they have devoted their lives to photography, both in the creation of incredible work, and in the teaching of the craft and art of photography. They have inspired many people -- and they are good people themselves.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China