Thread: Should I take my LF camera to Normandy region?

Should I take my LF camera to Normandy region?

I'm traveling next month with a group to the Normandy region of France for about a week. Has anyone photographed there? I generally take my Nikon when traveling, but am interested if I should supplement with a backpack full of large format equipment. If yes, can you recommend specific towns/cities and sites. Thank you in advance.

Yes!

There are so many places, it's hard to recommend anything specific. Like most places in France, you will find loads of nice places by just driving down the D roads. We never go with a set plan, just wander around discovering new places.

There are quite a few Norman castles in varying states of repair, beautiful old villages, and some nice towns and cities too. Each part of Normandy has its own character.

Last time we were there we came across a delightful little town (Neufchatel en Bray), full of half timbered buildings with a very nice square and covered market. The surrounding area had at least two or three old castles.

Great food too, just what you need after hauling around your gear ;-)

Paul

Traveling with a group of non LF photographers (or worse, non-photographers) can be problematic if you use LF. A few favorite sites: Mont Saint Michel (landscape views of the islet, architectural photos of the streets and abbey), Etretat (cliffs and arches), Honfleur (old harbor and houses).

Why not ask some French LF photographers? Some can be found at http://www.galerie-photo.info/forum/

The question about a group's tolerance for a slow-working LF photographer was on target. How fast will your group travel?

Bon voyage,

Dan

What do you like to photograph? Civil engineering like the Pont de Normandie? The genteel decline of ports that failed to attract the ferries? The multitude of abbys and churches where Henry II is supposed to have done penance? Brie? Mulberry docks? English yacht owners stocking up on wine and washing powder?

I would take the biggest camera my wife would let me carry.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Absolutely not. Any format larger than 2-1/4 is frowned on by the normans, and if they see an American with a big camera they won't give you any cider or cheese.

Hello Rick,

I live in Normandy and for sure there are some interesting thing to photograph there. It depends on the place you visit , but there are beatiful seascape and countryside. As noted QT luong ( mont st michel, etretat , honfleur) and I will add the auges country (pays d'auges, camembert region) I recommended visiting Beuvron sur auges and other little village around. where there are some classic normand architecture , THe cotentin coast is the one I prefer.

Paulr, I use to work with my 12x15, 7x17 and other large format camera in normandy and there is o problem here with large format camera, in fact far less than in Paris where I live before.

Rick,

Sorry, I missed reading you are going to be in a group. Still, if you have a quick to setup camera, then why not. If not, bring the next biggest (MF) camera!

Enjoy yourself,

Paul

My packing list for such a trip: Light weight 4x5 double extension field camera with one lens that folds inside, box of quickload film and holder, dark cloth, light meter, loupe, one 35mm slr with 28mm lens, second 35mm slr with 85mm lens, 35mm film, light weight tripod with cary strap. It all fits in one medium size bag except the tripod.

Hi Rick,

I would suggest you visit Port en Bessin, a nice little town with a nice harbour. Another special place of interest for Americans would be Point du Hoc, perhaps you remember war movies showing soldiers shooting hooks uphill in order to climb the rocks. This is the actual landing site of those soldiers in WOII. I made LF pictures from sea level towards the actual point, which is stunning. You would have to walk the beach(climb for a part) from the towm St. Marie sur Mer in the direction of Point du Hoc, but its worth the effort. Visit the town St. mer Eglise, remember the towm where a soldier hang himself on the church tower while trying to land as a paratrooper. The city has a nice museum and actually during the summer period they still hang a doll on the church tower. I could brief you in very detail for hours but the best thing to do is, bring all your equipment!

Have fun,
    Otto