Thread: Rittreck View Camera Repair

Rittreck View Camera Repair

I purchased a Rittreck View 5x7 with 4x5 back several months ago from a forum member. The bellows were in pretty sad shape (I knew this when I bought it), so I replaced them immediately. I haven't had many chances to get out and photograph with the camera until just recently. One thing I'm having issues with is that the upper rail (as it is called in the RV manual) is very difficult to extend. When I try to move the knob that is supposed to extend the rail, the knob is very stiff and the rail barely moves.

Does anyone have any advice for how I can correct this issue? I really love the camera, but this is pretty annoying and inconvenient.

Thanks,

JP

Re: Rittreck View Camera Repair

You can try waxing the wooden rails, or you can see if you can determine where it is binding, and perhaps loosen something up. Or you can always send it to Richard Ritter and have him fine tune it. Good Luck. L

You do have Knob 18 unlocked? The rails are best lubed with a dry lube, something like Ice Wax bicycle chain lube.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    You can try waxing the wooden rails, or you can see if you can determine where it is binding, and perhaps loosen something up. Or you can always send it to Richard Ritter and have him fine tune it. Good Luck. L
    The RV is all metal. There are some screws that appear to hold the bed in place. I'm going to mess with them and see what happens.

Thanks,

JP

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Walden View Post
    You do have Knob 18 unlocked? The rails are best lubed with a dry lube, something like Ice Wax bicycle chain lube.
    Chauncey,

I believe I have knob 18 loosened, but I'll confirm. I think I might try to remove the rail guides and clean and lube them to see if that helps. The camera is in pretty good shape, so I hope that does it.

Thanks,

JP

Simon Benton told me to try a light oil on the rails since it worked for him on a similar camera. I put a little sewing machine oil on the gear and each rail and it moves great now.

JP