Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking For Ideas on Converting a Vageeswari Camera to Accept Standard Tripod

Re: Looking For Ideas on Converting a Vageeswari Camera to Accept Standard Tripod

Well, this 10x12 Vageeswari was one of my first cameras that I bought, other than cheap converted cameras. I have not been a fan of the original tripod and mounting system. Although it looked nice, it was not the most sturdy. I posted this thread a long time ago and since then I have used my other cameras and this one kind of just stayed in the closet other than a time or two where I used it to make 8x10 Ambrotypes.

I finally got around last week to looking again to figure out a solution for mounting a better tripod on it. I talked to a guy on instagram who showed me one of his cameras that he converted over. He used a two part aluminum piece that was pretty nice. I went with a very similar design but chose to machine it and use one solid piece of aluminum. I am very please with the way it turned out.

Wanted to come back to this thread here so I could update it with some photos in case someone else was looking for solutions on something similar.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5663.jpg   IMG_5662.jpg   IMG_5555.jpg   Vageeswari.jpg  

Re: Looking For Ideas on Converting a Vageeswari Camera to Accept Standard Tripod

Here is the new design. Full movement still works perfectly. You can mount it, tighten it down or loosen it so you can rotate the camera.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_6070.jpg   IMG_6069.jpg   IMG_6074.jpg   IMG_6077.jpg  

Few more shots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_6076.jpg   IMG_6075.jpg   IMG_6078.jpg  

What are the two holes for? I assume it'sneeded to fold the camera? What attaches the alum. plate to the wooden baseplate?

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    What are the two holes for? I assume it'sneeded to fold the camera? What attaches the alum. plate to the wooden baseplate?

Yes, the two holes I had to open up because two knobs are present and would not let it close flush without the holes. There is a beauty ring or thing piece of metal that screws into the camera base and also covers the aluminum to hold it in. It allows the aluminum base to rotate allowing me to turn the camera.