Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking For Ideas on Converting a Vageeswari Camera to Accept Standard Tripod

Looking For Ideas on Converting a Vageeswari Camera to Accept Standard Tripod

Hello, I am looking for ideas on how to convert a Vageeswari 10x12 Camera over to accept a standard style tripod.

If you have done this before or have ideas on how to do it please share and especially if you know of a way to do this that would allow for it to go back as original at some point. Photos are a big plus.

The way the tripod attaches is pretty neat but it makes the set up very top heavy and somewhat flimsy.

Thanks

Here are a few pics of the camera and tripod area.

Re: Looking For Ideas on Converting a Vageeswari Camera to Accept Standard Tripod

Can you remove that metal circle and replace it with a solid disk with a threaded hole like Deardorffs have?

Re: Looking For Ideas on Converting a Vageeswari Camera to Accept Standard Tripod

The tripod attachment is held by what looks to be 6 screws. I would remove it and add a false bottom of wood through which I would add a 1/4x20 "T" nut.

Thanks for the ideas. Has anyone ever had Ries make a custom size Deerdorrfs style replacement?

A bit like this one on my 8x15 (except that I have gone for a pair of t-nuts to match a Gitzo head) :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vageeswaari_tripod_adapter.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	159210

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ewins View Post
    A bit like this one on my 8x15 (except that I have gone for a pair of t-nuts to match a Gitzo head) :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vageeswaari_tripod_adapter.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	159210
    Is that on the camera like that? How does it attach?

It attaches using two bolts through the mounting flanges of the camera bed which go into the t-nuts at the left and right. The holes at top centre and bottom centre have t-nuts on the other side and the tripod bolts through to them. The MDF (12mm / 1/2") covers the entire baseboard to provide maximum support. As you can see from the markings it is as simple as putting the camera onto the MDF then tracing around the tripod mounting with a pencil or sharpie so you know where the bolt holes can go and where to put your centre lines. When it is all set up the MDF is solidly bolted to the tripod head. The camera sits on the MDF and is prevented from falling off by the left and right bolts. Because those bolts go through the tripod ring on the base of the camera you can turn the camera left and right although there is usually enough friction to prevent it happening unintentionally.

I'd also check with SKG n see if they have any ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    I'd also check with SKG n see if they have any ideas.
    Hello from Colorado---I too have had an issue with my antique 1889 Scovill Albion field camera, it size being 6.5x8.5 with its unique brass tripod holder----not too dissimilar in shape as yours.

I had to make a "gizmo" tripod plate in order to attach it to my Arca Swiss quick release system. The Scovill camera initially allow the camera to be folded down with its existing antique lens intact, the tripod area acting as a protective "circle" for the lens.

Being that I made my gizmo, I no longer was able to keep the lens in place. I needed to remove the lens/lensboard in order to fold the camera in its correct position.

Here is what my gizmo entailed-----I was able to find aluminum of a certain thickness (road sign aluminum)----I cut 2 circles in size of the camera tripod area---then I found 3 flat head screws/nuts, short ones to allow the camera bed to travel---then I drilled 3 holes to accommodate these screws (wing nuts) & drilled the holes where those 3 semi circles are on your tripod base (and mine)

after the 2 plates & set of screws/nuts were in place securely attached to the existing tripod plate, I drilled a hole in the very middle of these 2 plates & was able to come up with a tripod screw to attach to my AS quick release plate.

I'm not good at sending photos via this forum--if needed, I can send photos of my gizmo to give your further input--give me your email address.

Raymond

Why not just replace the original base with a solid wood base with a standard tripod socket?