Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Large Format Photography Conference

Large Format Photography Conference

[Please excuse the cross-posts on APUG and photo.net]

Just a few lines to share my experience.

I drove down to Springfield yesterday to attend the conference, and found it a quite rewarding experience. Michael Smith and Paula Chamlee were the reasons I came, as I wanted to see their work in person, and boy, wasn't I in for a treat. I am sure it's not for everyone, but Michael and Paula now have a fan in me. Jack Holowitz's session on LF portrait was excellent also. Jack is very unassuming; his work is much bigger than his words, and speaks for itself, to use a cliche.

I throughly enjoy the print sharing sessions; it is invaluable to be able to see the works in person, especially in processes I am unfamiliar with (I was curious about Platinum/Palladium specifically), and there were a _lot_ of very high quality work there.

The keynote presentations were very entertaining and interestting (Rob Gibson's on Historical (Civil War) Photography) and David Muench's on LF landscape photography), even if theirs is not my kind of photography.

I didn't spend too much of time in the vendors area, (I am on an equipment diet :-)), though it seems quite well attended and stocked;
    I saw and even touched an Ebony camera :-). I escaped with only a $35
    damage (for a lensboard).

Too bad I cannot make it today to hang out at the reception and perhaps meet some faces to put with names I recognize here and other LF net forums, and also meet other LFers in the area.

If you are within driving distance and can make the time, I highly recommend the experience. Kudos and thanks to Steve and View Camera Magazine, and also to the Western New England LF group (Bruce Barlow, Gene Laford, et al). From all apperances on the first day, you guys did a great job hosting the event. Hope the rest of the weekend went as well.

- Phong

Phong, you forgot to mention how great the photography show associated with the conference is. The reception will be held in the gallery this evening and the exhibit will also be open tomorrow afternoon.

Phil

Thank you for the compliment on the exhibit. It was a pleasure to hang work of such high quality. The Valley Photo Center will be open from 11:00 am to 2:00 pm tomorrow, Sunday 5/22.

If anyone stops in please say Hi and introduce yourself.

gene

The conference in Springfield... Kudos!

So many people of similar interests to talk to,
    So many good photographs to view,
    So much to learn and observe.

Two to three simultaneous sessions at any one time... it was sometimes difficult to decide which one to attend.

My thanks to Steve Simmons, Bruce Barlow, Ted Harris, Kerry Thalman, Michael Mutmansky and so many others who organized and presented at this conference.

Special thanks to Gene LaFord for all of his work in hanging the show.

Well Done

A very nice time to be had by all at the LF conference in Springfield MA. I was only able to get up there for one day on Sat. but had a great time! It's good to know LF is alive and well. The presentations were excellent as well as the buffet afterward. I really enjoyed spending time with the many vendors and seeing their wares esp the ULF folks. It's nice to be able to handle most if not all of the major brands of equipment one after another to get a real feel for the tools of the trade. Let me mention my impressions for those interested. There were many Ebony cameras to be seen. I must say that I was very impressed with the sturdiness of these products as well as the clean and precise construction too. I would not hesitate to buy an Ebony camera. Excellent stuff. A couple of negatives though. The ebonywood versions are extremely beautiful...the mahogany ones are not. The mahogany finish seems almost sticky or oily. There were new and used versions of these cameras and the mahogany cameras did not seem to wear well over time. The unpadded leather strap seemed cheap. Like a childs belt attached to the camera. A padded handle would have been much nicer considering the hefty price of these cameras. All in all though an A+. Richard Ritter has built a variable ULF camera 7x17 and up for around $3000.00. The prototype shown has much promise and would most likely be a great entry into ULF for those interested. I really like his approach to ULF. An aluminum tubular bed with wood frame and easily convertible to vertical format. Kudos to Richard for doing this. Canham and Lotus were there too but most of you know about the qualities of these cameras. They are a bit light in the metal department so not really my cup if tea. A new 5x7 Deardorff was there too. My, my...what a sweet camera! Strong metal, beautiful clean finish and everything just right! These might just be the best LF camera from a classic stand point. I want one! There was also Silvestri. A very interesting camera from 6x9 to 4x5. Hand holdable too and ultra smooth...I would like this to replace my Brooks veriwide eventually for travel. It even has as an accessory a mini bellows allowing some moves other than shift and rise/fall. Any way...it is just great to see all the people and lectures and photos and equipment all in one place. For anyone wanting to either learn some more or see current work or check out equipment make sure you are at the next one!
    Emile/www.deleon-ulf.com

I thought it would be hard to top Monterey, but with the support of the local LF photo community this conference in Springfield largely did. Special thanks to Bruce Barlow, Michael Mutmansky, Richard Ritter, Jack Holowitz and his better half, Steve Sherman and all the "locals"(I am forgetting many unfortunately) for their hospitality, comradeship and professionalism. It was a great time.

Also thanks to the people who co-presented with me, David Muench, Brian Vanden Brink, Kerry Thalman, Michael Smith, George Thompson and the fine people from Stinehour Press. It was an honor to work with you. Some of our sessions rocked!

And thanks always to Steve for his vision.

I can't wait for the next one.

Chicago in 2006?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Couldn't agree more! What a terrific idea to provide a reason for so many Large Format photographers to gather together and share their knowledge. I cannot imagine not attending all future gatherings and sent kudos to Steve Simmons and his magazine for sponsoring such a valuable outlet for the LF community. The local Large Format group did a terrific job in hosting the event and the Saturday evening gallery show was an added little jewel. Gene LaFord quietly undertook a huge task in coordinating Saturday evening. A small group stayed on through Monday at Jack Holowitz’s darkroom where Michael Mutmansky shared his incredible gum bichromate over Palladium
    Process. The entire weekend is one I’ll remember till the next View Camera Conference comes along. Thanks to all the Large Format community

Real photographs are born wet !

www.PowerOfProcessTips.com

Just wanted to say thanks and congratulations to everyone who contributed to the conference. It was wonderful, and well done.
    I went hoping to make a decision about moving up to 8x10 so that I could contact print, and to see some Azo prints since that was what I was intending to use, and to maybe get some help with my decision. I was blown away by all the assistance I got -- Jim from Midwest Photo Exchange let me take the 8x10 I was considering plus two lenses to my room overnight, and then let a couple of us play with faster and slower lenses in the corridor for a couple of hours the next day. The man has the patience of a Franciscan monk.
    I loved being able to spend a couple of hours studying Paula Chamlee and Michael Smith's beautiful work -- it makes such a huge difference being able to handle a print. And that Steve Sherman handed around pyro negs during his talk was a total gift. His 7x17's are truly beautiful.
    The presenters were so generous with their knowledge and experience, in fact I learned a ton from the other attendees. One of the best parts was print sharing, not only in the formal setting, but just walking through the breakout area with a coffee where more often than not, people were sharing their work.
    The gallery experience on Saturday night was also a highlight.
    so thanks again everyone, and I hope to see you next year.

To be totally honest, when I first heard the conference was going to be in Springfield this year, I wasn't thrilled. Nothing against Sprinfield, it's just a LONG way to travel from Portland (Oregon, not Maine) for a weekend (now I know how the East Coast people feel when the conference is in Monterey). Now that the conference is over, I have to say that Springfield was an excellent choice. In fact, thanks to Bruce Barlow, Ted Harris and Gene Laford (and many others), I think this was the most enjoyable LF conference, yet. It just seems to get better every year.

A couple reasons I think the conference worked so well this year (not that it didn't work well in the past). First, I think the involvement of Bruce, Ted, Gene and the local WNELFP group was a big plus. I really enjoyed the show and reception Saturday evening. I always enjoy looking at the work of other photographers, and it was especially rewarding to see the work of people I know. It was also just a great place to hang out and chat with other large format photographers and a chance to meet in person several people I've "known electronically" for years. I'd love to see the show/reception become a regular feature carried forward to future conferences. Of course, it's a lot of work. Which is why I think the involvement of a local club/group is so important.

Holding the conference in the East also had the bonus of attracting a lot of people who weren't able to attend the past conferences out West. While we were getting set up for one of my presentations, I took an informal pole to see how many people had attended previous conferences. I was suprised to see that a very significant majority (at least at that presentation) were first time attendees. I also think I met more new people this year than at the Sante Fe and Monterey conferences combined. Long distance travel is a significant obstacle for many people. So, moving the conference around the country opens it up to as many people as possible. I discussed this with a couple of the vendors at the trade show and they were thrilled with the location as it let them establish a lot of new contacts and potential future customers.

It was also a thrill for me personally to be a co-presenter with Kirk Gittings, David Muench, Paula Chamlee and Richard Ritter. These folks are pillars of the LF community and sharing the stage with them really made the conference special for me.

Of course, I always enjoy the trade show. In addition to the kid-in-a-candy-store appeal of seeing so much great LF gear in one place, it's aways fun to catch up with people like Keith Canham, Jeff Wheeler and Jim Andraki that I've known for years. I also got to meet in person for the first time several industry insiders like Barbara Lowry from Cooke Optics, John Layton, Martin Vogt from ARCA-SWISS and Ted Bromwell. I've spoken with these people on the phone and exchanged emails with them, but it was great to meet them in person and "talk shop". The enthusiasm these folks have for the products they make and sell leaves me confident that the large format market is going to be going strong for decades.

Of course, I also want to thank Steve for inviting me to speak again this year. I enjoy participating and always look forward to the conference. Each one has been a little different, but they've all been good. The one thing that has been a constant is Steve and the work he does behind the scenes to set up and organize these conferences. I hope he continues to do so for many more years to come.

Finally, a big thanks to all who attended. The-more-the-merrier definitely applies. The more people we get interested and active in large format photography, they better off we will all be in the long run. Conferences like this help build a sense of community and strong relationships between suppliers/manufacturers and the people who buy and use their products. In the end, everybody wins.

Kerry

Thanks fr the responses to the conference. As stated above many, many people contributed to the success of the conference and trade show and I appreciate all of the help.

steve simmons