Thread: Dropbox Public folder going Private

Dropbox Public folder going Private

I received a notice from Dropbox that my public folder, with my photos I've posted on the forum, is going private. Does anyone know if this means linked photo files from a public folder will no longer be viewed? Are there any workarounds, or will we need to use a resource other than Dropbox?

Re: Dropbox Public folder going Private

Quote Originally Posted by David Lobato View Post
    I received a notice from Dropbox that my public folder, with my photos I've posted on the forum, is going private. Does anyone know if this means linked photo files from a public folder will no longer be viewed?
    That appears to be the case, effective 1 September 2017 for Pro users.

Quote Originally Posted by David Lobato View Post
    Are there any workarounds, or will we need to use a resource other than Dropbox?
    I found the following, which mentions a workaround:

https://www.ghacks.net/2016/12/16/dr...pro-customers/

But, the workaround appears to require that each original link be edited to replace it with the revised HTML code generated by the Dropbox script. Moving image files to another host would, of course, require similar link changes.

If that turns out to be true, we may need to re-examine the time limit for editing posts here, currently set to 2 hours, or when a post is replied to, whichever is earlier.

Peter

I received an email from Dropbox regarding the changes and it appears that the changes will take effect on March 15 2017. Here is the pertinent part of the email ...
    " ... we’ll soon be ending support for the Public folder. Dropbox Basic users will be able to use the Public folder until March 15, 2017. After that date the files in your Public folder will become private, and links to these files will be deactivated. Your files will remain safe in Dropbox."
    Here's some additional info from the Dropbox help page ...
    https://www.dropbox.com/help/167

I no longer have a public folder, but I imagine dropbox will still allow shared folders... so maybe converting the folder to shared will make a it possible and maybe the links wont change.
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

I have been using the free service public folder for years now, mainly just so I can post large images on LFPF and APUG. I have tried to figure out if I will be able to continue using Dropbox's free service come March, or not. It seems that all my previous posted images will become disabled but I cant figure out if in the future I will be able to embed images into posts from my private Dropbox folder as a non paying subscriber. I think in the past it could only be done from the public folder. Is this Dropbox's was of forcing people to become a paying subscriber? Does anyone know if there is any other free option for file sharing? Drop box has been great - but I just don't understand enough about the changes to know if I will be able to continue to use them as I have.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Note that it is impossible for us to tell, at this point, how DropBox will actually implement their changes (apparently in March for some, September for others). But, for images to display here, the link must be open to the public. Image links to photos in private folders, or folders shared with other (logged-in) DropBox users, will generate an error. This is one of the drawbacks of using "free" hosting services - if they change their policies, all existing links go dead.

The admins are discussing ramifications of loosening the edit window to allow older links to be edited once users have re-hosted their images.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    The admins are discussing ramifications of loosening the edit window to allow older links to be edited once users have re-hosted their images.
    We have finished those discussions and have lifted the two-hour editing deadline. If you have an old post with a Dropbox (or any other) image link, you can edit the post to update the link.

Rick "please see the News announcement here" Denney

postimage hotlink test:

Trying to find free alternatives to dropbox - this worked effortlessly.

Another test after creating an account:

dropbox test:

Looks like there is a work around now that dropbox has/is eliminating its public folder service for free users (as of yesterday, 3/15/17) and paid users (Sept 2017).