Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 4x5 field choice Ebony or Shen Hao?

4x5 field choice Ebony or Shen Hao?

Pssssst ... get the RW45E - the universal bellows make a real difference! The build quality of the 45E is that of the other folding Ebony cameras, the "look" of the camera (if that is important) is very fine and as long as you can live without rear rise/fall you will be sorted! It is a very stable camera even when its extended to its maximum bellows extension and handles a good range of lenses - it will handle a 65mm (but a recessed panel will give you more flexibility). There were "complaints" from some regarding the original RW45 - concerning the fact that the bellows were standard pleated and not very flexible. As far as I know the current RW45 (mahogany) version has the Universal bellows shared by the RW45E and other SV Ebony cameras. I don't know how "easy" it is to get the mahogany version (RW45) as I understand that unless weight is an absolute issue/problem, most opt for the ebony wood version. Robert White lists the RW45E on his web site but does not list the mahogany version - but I am sure that they are easy to get hold of from source! The RW45E is basically a slightly-les specified SV45 - but an excellent buy nonetheless! Good luck! Paul

Psssst! Seeing as this enlightening and entertaining text has been archived - maybe I can get away with this! Then again, maybe nobody will see it! But for those who make it this far - try this - http://www.laytoncamera.com ....gotta be sneaky sometimes!!

Shameless self promotion eh?

I checked out this forum for the first time. Man, you guys need another hobby!

I have been a large format photographer for 19 years and have owned Linhoff (technikardan), Sinar (Norma), Wisner (Technical field), Calumet (C1), Toyo (810M, and 45A).

What caught my eye in a positive way is that this camera had zero detents. My Wisner did not, and I hated it. I use a 45A for field use, and love that the camera has adjustments for precision alignment so that the backs a parallel when "snapped" in to the zero position (as checked with a zig align).

I personally don't care about finish as much as fit. Is this, or the ebany, a precision camera? You can put the best glass on the camera, but if you constantly have to frig around with non-zeroable (nice word huh) standards by trying to make sure that the corners are in focus...

Does anyone have experience in checking the alignment of the camera with a zip align (or other) system?