Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update / Rebuild photography website advice

Update / Rebuild photography website advice

Greetings,

I've been told by many that my 13 year old website needs to be redone.

http://www.steve-sherman.com/index.cfm

Suggestions on templated or pre formatted web sites and which one seem the most user friendly ??

Thx in advance

SS

Real photographs are born wet !

www.PowerOfProcessTips.com

Re: Update / Rebuild photography website advice

Except for your portfolio galleries, any of that could be done real easily with a variety of Wordpress themes. If you don't mind your portfolio looking more like a blog than thumbnails, that would be easily done.

Looks like you are using cold fusion at the moment, which limits your choices for webhosts. WP is pretty universal and available for all price points of hosting services.

Steve, your site is very nice on a computer, meaning desktop and laptop but is not optimized for iPod/iPhone.

Younger users use only cell phones and computer ownership is falling.

Yet most old folk still prefer a computer.

I do.

Andrej Gregov

+1 on making your site responsive for mobile! For example, I'm unable to see larger images from your Portfolio on my iPad.

Wordpress is great if you want to run your server somewhere as that's how you can use some of the best templates. If you want less tech infrastructure headaches you might look at Squarespace or Adobe Portfoilio. Squarespace has more features and template options. Also, you can set up commerce pretty easily if you'd like to sell things directly from your site. Positive about Adobe Portfolio is it's included as part the Photoshop/Lightroom subscription plan. So, you pay nothing.

Everything on Squarespace and Portfolio are mobile ready out of the box, you have to do nothing special to set up. Pretty sure you can try Squarespace for free for 30 days. If you subscribe to Adobe Photoshop, you're already free. Personally, I'd probably start with Squarespace even if I had an Adobe subscription. It's a strong product.

Squarespace template examples:
    https://www.squarespace.com/websites...ory=portfolios

Adobe Portfolio template examples:
    https://www.myportfolio.com/layouts

Wordpress is nice, pretty full featured and easy to use, but security can be a headache if you don't keep up with the latest versions and such (presuming you manage the hosting yourself). You can still do cutting-edge work in ColdFusion, if desired, and actually it's easier to implement some things using it since it's by Adobe and plays nice with a lot of their tech (like PDFs for example.)

You have to be careful about blanket statements regarding Wordpress.

Certainly it's forte is blog style websites. But many themes are available that provide a great deal of flexibility for varying types of websites. Some are free and others cost a bit. As most things in life, the free ones tend be be more limited. Many/most handle the desktop vs. mobile transition well. Well managed themes (again, hard to get something for nothing) will provide security updates. I can't comment on how effective they are.

It can be daunting to find the theme you like. One approach is to find a website design you like, then use one of the online "wordpress theme finder" tools to see if it's a Wordpress theme and, if so, which one.

Managed hosting is so cheap, it's hard for me to understand why anyone would do it themselves unless they enjoy doing it.

Steve,

I really like the package/template provided by Photium (see my web site). It is easily customized, easy to upload and manage images. It looks good on tablets and phones. Several of my friends use it. They are very quick to respond to requests for help. I think the prices are very reasonable.

Mike

Thanks for the comments, I have spent many more nights than I want looking at different templates. I maybe limited to what some friends have and recommend as this whole internet topic is daunting to me. Several friends have built Word Press sites for e commerce and that is the direction I want to go with some type of mechanism to allow videos to be watched for a premium over a limited number of views. Way beyond my abilities of interest level.

Thx all !

Real photographs are born wet !

www.PowerOfProcessTips.com

hacker extraordinaire

What exactly is "managed hosting"?
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    What exactly is "managed hosting"?
    All hosting is managed to some extent... From managing actual server equipment with every hosting provider, so you don't need a potentially insecure server in your basement or bathroom.

I think of managed hosting in this case as someone manages the CMS security updates. E.g. if I use Godaddy's wordpress install, their systems management keeps it up to date with security updates. Another host I use requires me to update it, which might be good for reliability but bad for security.

If you're interpreting marketing speak for "managed hosting", ask questions or dig deeper to determine what they actually mean.