Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: photographing in airplane graveyards

photographing in airplane graveyards

Has anyone ever visited or photographed in one of the airplane graveyards? I have learned of two-- one near Tucson that is for military planes and another in the Mojave Desert that is commercial airliners. I'm interested to find out if they are fenced off and whether it is possible to gain access to photograph.

Does anybody know what a retired 747 body would cost? My girlfriend has this crazy idea of plopping one on the top of a mountain on 10 acres we just bought and turning it into a house. I keep telling her she's crazy, but she insists that she's taking her meds. I can't convince her that it can't be done, until I can convince her that we can't afford it. Any ideas of where to go to get pricing on one of these things?

They cost more than most houses...

Shipping containers are cheap ($10K) and there are architects who modify them for cheap living.

I wouldn't want to live in one, but I like the looks of a DC-3 over a newer jet anyday. Might make a nice office...

I know that as of last year, the graveyard north of Tucson is fenced off and there is a guard shack with an armed sentry who turned me away as soon as he found out that I did not have a magnetic badge. Can't say anything about the other graveyard.

Frank,

I must be living in the slums---40' cargo containers in my part of the world are going for $1500 and thats decked out with a spiffy coat of gray or red primer. The ones with "art" on 'em cost less! ;-)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Ron:

If you intend to live in a airliner fuselage perched on a mountaintop, I'll bet that the first visitors to knock on your front door will be from the search and rescue team! :-)

Ron,

Would that mean your diet would consist of airline food? UUUUgh!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Ron - you could probably get a sales contact through the Mojave Airport site. Then, enquire about rental of one of those sky cranes (do they still fly the Sikorskis?) that might just be able to move it to your mountain top. Add to that the cost of a form-fitted concrete foundation, and all the curtains you'd need to cover all those little windows, and you may have a convincing contra-case to present to your GF. ;-)

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

Oh man, you would then have to use those tiny bathrooms all the time! I wonder if they're easier to operate when they are not constantly shaking around.

For Tucson, perhaps a letter to the Davis-Monthan A.F.B. public affairs officer would gain you permission. For Mojave, try www.mojaveairport.com. Worth a try.