Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "photography is dead..."

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

"photography is dead..."

"LONG LIVE PHOTOGRAPHY..."

From RayKo proprietor Stuart Kogod

Dear friends of RayKo,

Today I'm stepping out of the shadows to discuss the future of RayKo Photo Center. The operation simply isn't generating enough income. As the proprietor, I will need to make some significant changes as I can no longer carry it alone. My intention here is to proceed with you informed and hopefully in a position to affect a favorable outcome.

My strongest hope is that RayKo will be able to continue, but under the patronage of another individual. Or under the patronage of a consortium of individuals which could, or could not, include myself. With the right person at the helm, someone who has business skills and fire in their belly, RayKo could be a successful enterprise.

Unless new patronage emerges, RayKo Photo Center will close to the public on April 30, 2017.

In the meantime, starting February 1, 2017, our hours of operation will be:

Tues, Wed, Thur 12:30 - 9:30
    Sat, Sun 10:00 -7:00
    Mon, Fri Closed

Thereafter...
    Workshops, Classes, Summer Camps, Teen Programs and our Artist-In-Residence Program will continue as well as our digital printing and imaging services.

Our 10th Annual International Juried Plastic Camera Show will be the final gallery exhibition ending on April 23, 2017.

Whatever the future holds, I'd like to thank you for joining me in this wild and fulfilling ride. I will try my hardest to continue to keep you informed. Please contact me with any inquiries about the details and logistics of the business.

Sincerely,

Stuart Kogod
    proprietor
    stuart@raykophoto.com
    Received in my inbox at 5:12 this afternoon.

Thomas

Re: "photography is dead..."

Never heard of the place.

Looked it up.

Looks fantastic!

Live long and...

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    "LONG LIVE PHOTOGRAPHY..."

Received in my inbox at 5:12 this afternoon.

Thomas
    At 5:12 ? What happened at 5:15 then?

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

So are you going to buy the place, Thomas, and save photography from dying?

"Another one bites the dust" seems more apropos.

I received the same email yesterday. Rather sad when I read it. RayKo is a great facility and the folks there are very nice. I hope a buyer or consortium is able to take over.

R/
    Dave

Or find some corporate sponsors, or grant $$$...

I wish them well...

Steve K

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I was at a reception there earlier this month for the opening of the current exhibition of works by Steve Harper (think "Nocturnes") and David Wolf. David's work was quite interesting. He got a bunch some expired (he said from around 2000) RA-4 paper, developed one sheet in each box to see what was the color shift, and then printed the image onto a fresh sheet from that box with an enlarger. Each print was at least 16x20 ad all were matted and mounted in frames and for sale at around $4k each. Click on the link and scroll down to the Side Gallery on the Current Show tab. http://raykophotocenter.com/current-show-b

Thomas

Great place. Sad loss if it closes. We also have the Harvey Milk center in SF - that will likely be the last public photography darkrooms outside of the art schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I imagine San Francisco rent is really high, like Toronto a similar building 401 Richmond Street which houses Gallery 44 a facility much like Rayko is currently under property tax review. Basically as the story goes such review is based
    on the highest property usage, and then passed on to the owners to pay and ultimately pass on to each space within . The owners of 401 took an old building filled it with willing art groups, many publicly funded or trying to get money from the same sources.
    Now their rent is going through the roof, as King and Spadina is one of the hottest space markets in the GTA .

This happened in The Distillery District and many other areas of Toronto , what is the solution ? , not sure as long as the building market is so hot , these kinds of situations keep on happening. I feel for Rayko but I doubt any one group will come in and save the day for photography.

Space is the single most expensive commodity in running a business, hydro and services next, when they start getting out of whack based on the Gross amount any facility can produce , a sad demise is inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by angusparker View Post
    Great place. Sad loss if it closes. We also have the Harvey Milk center in SF - that will likely be the last public photography darkrooms outside of the art schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I had my Darkroom listed on the Ilford http://www.localdarkroom.com/ from the start, maybe 3-4 years.

No cost, bring paper.

Not one call or email is all that time, until recently. The message was not positive. I removed my listing, the darkroom remains open to people who know me.