Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graphic View Front Thread Size/Flash Question

My Passion Is Learning

Graphic View Front Thread Size/Flash Question

Hello, all!

I have an original graphic view that had come with the original Kodak shutter. After many trips to a repair shop, we finally declared the shutter a lost hope (B and T would slip and not hold the shutter open intermittently. A new part would have fixed it but that was more trouble than I was willing to go through for this shutter), so I went out and bought myself a modern lens in a modern copal #1 shutter (thanks, uphereinmytree)! This not only functions on all settings, is a lot faster, but also has a flash sync terminal that has made me think about using flash for the first time. My question is, however, how have people mounted flashes on these cameras in the past? I found the manual online and there is no mention of it (probably because this pre-dates electronic flashes by quite some time!). My best hope would be to utilize the thread on top of the front standard that was marked for use by the bellows shade that was an accessory back then. However, I don't know what the exact thread size is. I shoved some drill bits in there and my 1/8" drill bit fit the best but I'm sure thats not the best/most scientific solution. Then even once I know the thread size, I need to scour the interwebs to find a thread adapter. My thought was (assuming it is indeed 1/8") Have a 1/8" to 1/4-20 adapter then get a 1/4-20 to cold shoe adapter to hold an electronic flash. Or has anyone else found/is there a better way to go about doing this? I could just have the flash on a stand next to the camera, but I would love it to be a little bit more portable than that.

Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6412.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	158750

Re: Graphic View Front Thread Size/Flash Question

um......

no no no no no - don't put a flash on a camera above the lens like that..any camera.. just say no

get a light stand and flash and at least an umbrella

My Passion Is Learning

Well, as stated in my post, I don't really have the means to travel with a light stand, much less a light stand and an umbrella. I have every intention of doing it right when I have the means to but when I travel I simply don't.

If you're only going to use one flash, then get a longer cable release and hand-hold your flash where it will do the best job (your camera is on a tripod, right?). Any old "potato masher" flash has a handle.

Doremus

Or hold the flash yourself, from as far away as your cable release will let you. But using direct flash with a view camera is like using a sports car to drive the kid's soccer team to practice.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Your camera has that good square rail. You could mount a Manfrotto Super Clamp to the rail, between the front and rear standards, or better on the tripod leg. The stud shown in the picture can accommodate a flash base.

Name:	bg2900.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	158809

Mortensen described and used a single bare bulb as close to taking lens as possible.

There are no rules, try everything. I have Graphic View II. a very nice camera.

Some my foolishness. http://www.largeformatphotography.in...=1#post1239154

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Your camera has that good square rail. . . .

Name:	bg2900.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	158809
    The Graphic View has an inverted V rail. Perhaps the Manfrotto or similar clamp could be persuaded to work.

My Passion Is Learning

Doremus and mdarnton, that could be explored but I have very little faith in my ability to cure my shaky hands and not mess up holding it. I'm sure with enough distance it would take a lot of movement to make a difference but it's also just convenience factor. And hey, mdarnton, if the minivan is in the shop, the kids need to get to practice somehow!

Jac, very interesting! A little bit of a "do'oh" moment that I hadn't explored the idea of simply clamping it somewhere. My only concern would then be trying to get it above the lens as flash from below typically doesn't flatter most. I don't know that I'll be using it for portraiture of any kind but versatility would be nice. I'll look into clamp options!

Randy, thank you for the positivity!!! I love exploring new things and trying different techniques. I have a roll film back and am waiting on a Polaroid back so I won't just be shooting my 4x5 stuff that I reserve usually for the "serious" stuff. Figured having a flash would help in some urban environments that perhaps a 30 second exposure isn't possible/wouldn't be advised.

Thank you for constructive ideas, everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Troy, the thread on the top of the front standard appears to be a common 8x32. You should find a variety of machine bolts of this size in any hardware store, and perhaps some with knobs.