View Poll Results: How much would you pay (in USD) for an 8x10 version of the SP-445?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • less than $100

11 40.74%
  • $100 - $150

7 25.93%
  • $150-$200

7 25.93%
  • $200 or more; (it's only money!)

2 7.41%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interest in 8x10 film processing system; take our poll

Interest in 8x10 film processing system; take our poll

Since our SP-457 film system for 5x7 has died a quiet death, we're re-evaluating the interest in an 8x10 version.

Please take a minute to answer our poll questions below. Note: the 8x10 version would probably process 2 sheets of 8x10 or 4 sheets of 5x7 in around 1 liter.

BTW, in case you missed it, here's the video explaining why we did the 5x7 first: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XCFJcoO6Sc&t=12s

Re: Interest in 8x10 film processing system; take our poll

Let me qualify my selection...

I currently have the Jobo 3005 Expert tank for 8x10, and to save the stress on the motor (do have a spare Jobo CPP2 unit), load only two sheets given the amount of developer I use.

For 4x5 development, I use the Jobo 2500 series tank and spool for 6 sheets, and manually invert / process without using the Jobo CPP2.

Any 8x10 tank system I would be interested in would need to accommodate the developer volume required i.e. 250ml per 80 square inches of film (i.e. each 8x10 sheet).

Good luck with your survey

For me, it has to be considerably cheaper than a Jobo tank. I can roll a Jobo tank on the floor to save money now and then later use that tank on a processor that I buy at some future time. For a solution like one of your tanks that can't ever be put on a temperature controlled, agitation controlled processor in the future, I would have trouble seeing the value in something that cost even half what a used Jobo tank would.

What happened to the 5x7 version?

I would seriously consider a 5x7 version of this tank if it could accommodate at least six sheets.

Even better would be a version which would hold either four 8x10's or eight 5x7's.

Given the design of your tank...would there be problems with scaling up to accommodate these (greater) numbers?

Ah...I'm still sad that the 5x7 model didn't make it. I don't shoot 8x10.

IMHO a tank for a couple shots is not worth it. Any tray will do it better.
    I like to develop 4x5" in tanks, 5x7" either in tank or trays (a divided 8x10" sized tray can develop two sheets at a time) and 8x10" exclusively in trays. Although I have a Jobo setup, I tend to dislike rotary results. I prefer the good old "classic" manual processing. Maybe, a one liter, 5x7" version of an improved MOD54 would call my attention.
    I always thought I`d like to have a real light tight tray. Just a black tray with a single, cheap, easy to remove, easy to clean, non necessarily hermetically sealed kind of cover. I simply turn off the light, open the cover and take the sheet to the next tray and cover it again. This way I can switch on the light during the process for whatever. Just my honest opinion.

Trays require absolute darkness and a place to work in it. That's not realistic for many people who travel or live in a situation where they can't significantly alter the structure to provide the level of darkness required for tray processing. It requires a MUCH darker environment to leave film exposed in a tray for 10+ minutes than it does to expose film for a few seconds as you move it from the holder to the processing tank.

I absolutely think that the ability to process film in the light is worth money to a lot of people. I just think that this tank the manufacturer is asking about in this thread has to cost a LOT less than a Jobo drum for 8x10 to make it worth while.

I think the willingness to use and get set up to use trays also brings a greater level of commitment to standardized processing which leads to successful repeatable processing. With a tank system it is easier to get sloppy, and lazy, and be disappointed by sub par results.
    For those who are set up and need to travel or keep processing in a new environment tanks are great!
    Another factor to mention is that film changing tents which can allow tray processing can be had for around $250.
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

As someone who has just started dabbling with 8x10, I would likely have been a customer. Except I have a couple of Jobo CPU units and 2830/2840 print tanks that work well enough for me, especially as the current majority of film is 5x4 or 120. For those that like intermittent or low agitation development in daylight this sort of unit will be attractive. All depends on what else has to be processed.

(Shrek)

I like the idea but only if it will do 2x 5x7 or 4x 4x5 as well as 8x10.