Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pants

Pants

That's right I have a query about pants for LF. For temperatures around 40 degrees, I'm not talking below freezing type of weather but in the low 40's. Jeans don't cut it unless I wear long underwear which I'd like to avoid. I have 32oz wool pants but that's overkill for these temps. I don't particularly need cargo pockets since I have enough storage in my coat. I'd just like to find something warmer than jeans when I'm out for 2-3 hours standing around more than moving. So what should I be looking for in material and weight?

thanks

Re: Pants

How about fleece lined pants? These are just some example from one company, there are many others available— http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/m...ned-pants.aspx

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

In the 40's I still wear cargo shorts!

I use to have a pair of navy 13-button wool pants. Not too heavy and were great for winter backpacking -- except I found that the eroded limestone in the Grand Canyon shredded the pant bottoms!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Thanks for the suggestions...I bought a pair of lined pants from Eddie Bauer that are more casual and I think will work perfectly for my needs. The Duluth pants were a little more heavy duty than I need but I can see where they would be good for colder weather and are more robust for wear.

I wear jeans year-round, +30˚C/-30˚C, but on the coldest days, I'll put on a pair of snow pants.
    The most important thing is to keep your feet warm; your legs will get cold last (unless you're in shorts), so it's worth looking into good footwear as well.
    And wearing a neck warmer fools you into thinking you're warm; a lot of heat is lost through the neck area.

And a hat, don't forget a hat!

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

How about Corduroy? It's warmer than Jeans.

When I worked construction outdoors I wore jeans because they held up well. When it was really cold I wore polypropylene underwear. It's warmer and not as bulky as traditional cotton long johns.

You want L.L.Bean 'Double L' flannel-lined jeans. Warm, less bulky than fleece-lined pants; of course with any retailer, act NOW. Christmas purchasing will deplete everyone's stocks... don't be left out in the cold.