Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Veritar instructions?

lab black

Re: Veritar instructions?

John,
    In all the excitement of reading the focus instructions for my Veritar, I inadvertently wrote Verito instead of Veritar. Again, thanks for the clarification and the very helpful instructions.
    LB
    "We work in the dark, we do what we can, we give what we have."
    Henry James

I have pointed this out a few times in the forums (and had it confirmed by others once or twice) so I will mention it again:

The softness is not only related to distance from the focal plane, but also to the radial distance from the optical center. In a typical head-and-shoulders composition, the eyes (which are normally expected to be the sharpest things in the image) are about a third of the way down from the top of the frame. This sometimes leads to an odd result where the eyes are as sharp as than can be, but the fabric of clothing near the center of the frame is even sharper. The solution is to focus with the lens axis centered on the eyes, then use camera movements to compose. If the eyes are the sharpest things in the picture, the fact that the bottom of the image dissolves into blur seems not to detract at all.

In addition to the above I find that the depth of field characteristics favour the Graf and Cooke RVP favour focussing on the ears.
    The Universal Heliar, Kodak Portrait , Verito, Imagon and Veritar favour focussing on the nose.
    Cooke soft and the Velostigmat soft favour focussing on the eyes
    For portraits

As the OP, my sincere thanks for the Veritar resources and insights shared here.