Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ridiculous time delay for posts

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Ridiculous time delay for posts

I can't believe that there are so many new members that such a solution would cause a big additional workload for the few who can't read fine print.

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    I think all the spam is going to the Cameras - ULF (Ultra Large Format) and Accessories forum.
    No way.

I've reported spam in many different sections.

I'm probably on LFPF more hours per day than any other member, and well into the night.
    I always access it using the Today's Posts button, so I see posts in all sections.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Maybe it's time to just ditch vBulletin for more robust Forum software. All the other Forum sites I frequent switched easily sometime ago. I did suggest this some time ago.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    No way.

I've reported spam in many different sections.

I'm probably on LFPF more hours per day than any other member, and well into the night.
    I always access it using the Today's Posts button, so I see posts in all sections.

- Leigh
    More than Drew?
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

...I'm probably on LFPF more hours per day than any other member, and well into the night...
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    More than Drew?
    Drew has only ever participated here from his computer at work. He's advised us he's retiring in one week. He previously said he wouldn't be posting after he retires. We'll see.

If Drew's only participating from work, then I'm definitely on more than he is.

- Leigh

One simple solution to the spammer problem is to do an email confirmation, as most websites do.

When a newbie tries to register, the s/w sends a confirming email to the given address.
    The account is only activated after the newbie clicks on a link in the email.

It's not likely that a bot or volume-poster would provide a real email address, or respond to same.

- Leigh

One simple solution to the spammer problem is to do an email confirmation, as most websites do.

When a newbie tries to register, the s/w sends a confirming email to the given address.

It's not likely that a bot or volume-poster would provide a real email address, or respond to same.

- Leigh
    Yes, they do. I run another site that's on vB and the new members don't show up to be moderated in or out until after they've clicked the link in the e-mail sent to them. I still get dozens of newbs per day minimum (sometimes a hundred or more). I have it set for moderator review, so each new member has to be approved or deleted by a human after they've clicked that e-mail link.

- Leigh
    Yep, our implementation of vBulletin does exactly that. Plus, the way we nuke them requires that they create a new valid e-mail account and re-register from a different IP address before they can post spam again. Apparently, these people are very dedicated.

It is not that big of a problem to require more work by the mods. Dang...it is not even a big enough problem for me to be posting about it.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China