Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ridiculous time delay for posts

Angry Ridiculous time delay for posts

We're frequently inundated with spam.

I try to report all of them I see. Reporting one takes about 10 seconds.

Then when I try to report the next one, I get a banner that says I must wait an additional xx seconds before posting.

The simple solution is just not to report them, since management seems to think my time is worthless.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Re: Ridiculous time delay for posts

Leigh, the delay is there to handicap bots and human spammers. Afraid there are no painless solutions here, only unpleasant tradeoffs.

But in partial mitigation, please do note that to report new registrants who have posted multiple spam threads, as we've just had overnight, it's enough to report one of the threads for each spammer - we'll see the others, and when we nuke the spammer in one of his threads all the other threads are cleared too.

Thanks to you and everyone for your patience and your help as we deal with this plague.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    We're frequently inundated with spam.

I try to report all of them I see. Reporting one takes about 10 seconds.

Then when I try to report the next one, I get a banner that says I must wait an additional xx seconds before posting.

The simple solution is just not to report them, since management seems to think my time is worthless.

- Leigh
    My experience exactly. So now I just let them go.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    But in partial mitigation, please do note that to report new registrants who have posted multiple spam threads, as we've just had overnight, it's enough to report one of the threads for each spammer - we'll see the others, and when we nuke the spammer in one of his threads all the other threads are cleared too.
    Hi Oren,

Thanks for that info. I didn't know that.

It reduces the number of reports, but the time required for each is unchanged.

Since the REPORT function has its own icon, just vector that to enter the post subroutine after the point where that delay is imposed.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Leigh, the delay is there to handicap bots and human spammers. Afraid there are no painless solutions here, only unpleasant tradeoffs.

Thanks to you and everyone for your patience and your help as we deal with this plague.
    So, why not just institute a new rule that new signups cant post for 24 hours? That would stop these sports posts.

I think all the spam is going to the Cameras - ULF (Ultra Large Format) and Accessories forum.

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    I think all the spam is going to the Cameras - ULF (Ultra Large Format) and Accessories forum.
    Most of it is, but a few of the threads have been posted in other subforums.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    So, why not just institute a new rule that new signups cant post for 24 hours? That would stop these sports posts.
    Many have suggested this, and we've thought about it. Possibly it would help, but on the other hand the spammers may just learn to wait, and it would also likely create a new moderation burden of fielding queries from new members who haven't read the fine print and don't understand why they can't post.

Trying to find the least-annoying balance in all these tradeoffs...

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Since the REPORT function has its own icon, just vector that to enter the post subroutine after the point where that delay is imposed.
    As a matter of policy, we don't modify the vBulletin code. Maintenance is enough of a burden without the extra debugging that under-the-hood customization brings.

Many have suggested this, and we've thought about it. Possibly it would help, but on the other hand the spammers may just learn to wait, and it would also likely create a new moderation burden of fielding queries from new members who haven't read the fine print and don't understand why they can't post.

Trying to find the least-annoying balance in all these tradeoffs...
    For this particular group they only post shortly before a game or event takes place. So delaying them 24 hours would negate what they are trying to do.