Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chamonix Hs-1 Review

Foamer

Re: Chamonix Hs-1 Review

Quote Originally Posted by jose angel View Post

Kent (and others), just another question: Do you find the Chamonix worm drive system comparable to the usual rack and pinion method? My fear is about any play or clearance while moving the standard back and forth for focusing. Also, does it have any "clutch" system to quickly extend or close the camera without the need of using the focus knob?

I have had cameras with the traditional focus (Shen Hao, Gundlach Korona) and just find the worm drive a little easier for me. Especially when the lenses start getting long--don't have to reach way out in front. The worm drive on my Chamonix is very "tight" and solid. I don't feel any play at all. There is enough resistance in the mechanism that stretching the bellows doesn't seem to be enough to pull the front standard back. It's a pretty gradual advance so it's easy to fine focus too.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by austin granger View Post
    Michael, Hi. You really do get used to the focusing technique. I don't even think about it anymore. I mostly wanted to convey that it does require two hands at once.
    Thanks, Austin.

Another question since you have the Hs-1 rather than the H-1. My understanding is the Hs-1 was not supposed to have an asymmetric rear tilt, but in your photographs of the camera it looks like it does (ie the tilt point looks to be somewhere between base tilt and center tilt). It looks like it works the same way as the H-1. Am I wrong about this?

Quote Originally Posted by seezee View Post
    That's definitely a friction mechanism. If it were rack & pinion, the track would have grooves or teeth.
    dave_whatever has shed some light on this (see below) He owns this camera as well. Thanks Dave!

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Congrats, Austin! It's a very handsome camera, and it sounds like you'll be very happy with it for years to come.
    Every camera has its quirks, strengths and weaknesses; our job is to either live with the shortcomings, or sell the gear on eBay!
    Nice review as well.
    Thanks Ari! I'm really liking this one. It almost seems like it was made specifically for me, ha!

Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I think I would like this. I really adore simplicity, and having to set up view cameras is just fiddly enough to hamper my flow, yet MF cameras feel stifling due to lack of movements.
    The simpler the better in my opinion. That way I can try and focus on the picture instead of the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by JaZ99 View Post
    Austin, your review is spot on! I only have the camera for about week, and took only one fujiroid but I fell in love with it already.

The chamonix web site doesn't mention two things:
    * fresnel is extra option
    * if your quick release plate is using 1/4-inch screw, you need to buy an adapter (it is so cheap, it should be included)

JaZ
    Thanks JaZ. I'm liking it a lot too. Thank for mentioning the tripod mount screw, I forgot about that. I was kind of bummed when I first got the camera and discovered I couldn't mount it on my tripod!

Quote Originally Posted by dave_whatever View Post
    It's definitely a rack and pinion like any other similar camera (Ebony, Walker, ShenHao etc). The toothed track is on the underside of each standard carrier, and geared axle is inlaid into the base of the camera, and hence both not visible in the above photo.

The only difference between the focussing on Chamonix H models and other comparable field cameras is that the focus runs very loosely and lightly compared to Ebony etc. The locking mechanism functionally is the same as on an Ebony or ShenHao, but there is less inbuilt friction in the running forwards and backwards of the standards. This gives rise to the issue described by the OP where you have to hang onto the focus knob when locking otherwise locking will push the focus forwards/backwards (also if you point the camera downwards without the focus locked the weight of the lens can pull the front bed out). It can be mitigated to an extent by partially tightening the locking knob before focussing.
    This is worth posting again, as it's much more clear than my ramblings. Thanks Dave!

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    I have had cameras with the traditional focus (Shen Hao, Gundlach Korona) and just find the worm drive a little easier for me. Especially when the lenses start getting long--don't have to reach way out in front. The worm drive on my Chamonix is very "tight" and solid. I don't feel any play at all. There is enough resistance in the mechanism that stretching the bellows doesn't seem to be enough to pull the front standard back. It's a pretty gradual advance so it's easy to fine focus too.

Kent in SD
    Having used the F1, I can also attest to the solidity of the worm drive focusing system. It works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    Thanks, Austin.

Another question since you have the Hs-1 rather than the H-1. My understanding is the Hs-1 was not supposed to have an asymmetric rear tilt, but in your photographs of the camera it looks like it does (ie the tilt point looks to be somewhere between base tilt and center tilt). It looks like it works the same way as the H-1. Am I wrong about this?
    Michael, Hi. Yes, the rear tilt on the Hs-1 is located between base tilt and center tilt, but it does not have the asymmetric rear tilt feature like the F1 (with the separate grey knob) or like you find on the higher end Ebony cameras. Strangely, although Chamonix says on their website that the H-1 model has asymmetric rear tilt, from the photos of that camera, you're right, it looks identical to the Hs-1. Good eye! And a new mystery... I don't know the answer to that.

It's definitely a rack and pinion like any other similar camera (Ebony, Walker, ShenHao etc). The toothed track is on the underside of each standard carrier, and geared axle is inlaid into the base of the camera, and hence both not visible in the above photo.
    I stand corrected.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

seezee at Mercury Photo Bureau
    seezee on Flickr
    seezee's day-job at Messenger Web Design

The only difference between the focussing on Chamonix H models and other comparable field cameras is that the focus runs very loosely and lightly compared to Ebony etc. The locking mechanism functionally is the same as on an Ebony or ShenHao, but there is less inbuilt friction in the running forwards and backwards of the standards. This gives rise to the issue described by the OP where you have to hang onto the focus knob when locking otherwise locking will push the focus forwards/backwards (also if you point the camera downwards without the focus locked the weight of the lens can pull the front bed out). It can be mitigated to an extent by partially tightening the locking knob before focussing.
    So I understand it`s just an "ordinary" rack&pinion mechanism... a loose type one, like that on e.g., the Canham cameras.

Possibly, I've never handled a Canham so I'll have to take your word on that.

Thanks for your review Austin! I really like everything about the HS-1 except the weight really bugs me. I expect a camera with less bellows and such than my N-1 to be, well, lighter, but it's heavier instead! Not much heavier admittedly. Must be the different focus system. Probably won't buy one for now.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

This is the large format that i really look for, i was hoping to get Ebony, but Ebony most cameras are out of production and very expensive, sounds this is the alternative and a good option, but i will go with H-1 instead of Hs-1, but hope to sell my current LF first to afford this without saving much budget.

I really hope to see more results of these H series Chamonix cameras.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post

I really hope to see more results of these H series Chamonix cameras.
    It's really hard to go wrong with a Chamonix. I love mine--it's my second most used camera (after Nikon D800E.)

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Thanks for your review Austin! I really like everything about the HS-1 except the weight really bugs me. I expect a camera with less bellows and such than my N-1 to be, well, lighter, but it's heavier instead! Not much heavier admittedly. Must be the different focus system. Probably won't buy one for now.
    It might be the focusing system and also I think it's dimensionally a little bit larger than the N-1. I guess it depends on what you're used to though; compared with my Deardorff, the Hs-1 feels almost miniature (and feather light)!