Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low angle viewing solution

Low angle viewing solution

I was recently faced with the challenge of photographing from a low angle in very muddy, rocky and sometimes dusty conditions. I first tried this on my knees with a focusing cloth and quickly determined that it would be painful to continue this way. For this project, I was using my prized Anba Ikeda 4x5 for which there is no off the shelf right angle viewing device. I ended up buying a Toyo binocular viewer on a popular auction site. It was essentially new in the box and pretty affordable. Having access to a machine shop, I was able to modify some architectural aluminum pieces and create some "hangers" which I then attached to the viewer's frame by drilling and tapping some small holes to which they could be screwed in place. I applied some 3M 235 photo tape to the metal surfaces of the hangers so as to prevent damage to the cameras wooden and plated parts. An elastic headband was all that was needed to block out extraneous light from the entering between the viewer and the gg. I was able to get down to about 24" above ground which worked out very well for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ToyoViewer.jpg  

Re: Low angle viewing solution

Knee pads. Kneeling rubber pads used by gardners. Ensolite type foam pads used by backpackers.
    All are low cost solutions for low work.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Drew Wiley

Chiropractor afterwards.

Chiropractor during.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Nice improv... "whatever it takes". I just hope the viewfinder doesn't weigh more than that featherweight camera!

Looks like an excellent solution.

I anticipate having similar problems with some photos that I want to take with my Wista SP. We'll see, but there's a Chinese version of a binocular viewer available for these cameras. A hanging question is, whether the quite long focal length of the SP's Fresnel makes this a viable option for my eyesight.

Well done !
    From time to time I'm missing an angle viewer, too, but I choosed to come together with a female chiropractor.

Ritchie

Where there's a will, there's a way!

Here's a guy who sells a wide variety of large format camera parts and accessories -- including several focusing screen "sun blockers" and angle viewers. It's all through EBAY and I assume most, if not all, offer a BUY IT NOW option.

http://stores.ebay.com/ecbuyonline20...p2047675.l2563

Is it really that difficult to kneel or lay down?
    All the technical add on stuff seems to be a lot more trouble than getting a Digital Camera with the screen that moves. ;-)
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

It can be difficult for someone with arthritis to kneel and bend to compose and focus.

I was faced with a similar problem but in reverse. I was photographing English church and cathedral ceilings, finding it difficult to sustain bending my neck to focus and compose. I came up with some light weight alternatives. One is a large surplus 90 degree prism. It actually brightened the image. The second is a pair of prism glasses that are made for patients that have eye surgery and have to spend 7-10s lying on their back (similar to those on the Bucket List, but in the reverse direction). The latter worked quite well.

I have also had a Toyo rubber 90 degree angle viewer adapted to the graound glass protector of my Linhof 2000. Relatively light weight.

Mike