Thread: Green River, Dinosaur National Monument area

Green River, Dinosaur National Monument area

Can anyone suggest things I shouldn't miss in the Dinosaur National Monument area this summer? I'm doing a kayak trip with raft support (the raft will let me carry some big camera gear on the trip) on the Green River and then will be in the general area for a while.

Besides the obvious tourist/photo spots is there anything or anywhere that I should see and maybe photograph? I have four wheel drive, camping gear and two pretty good feet to get me around. I know I'm not far from several famous photo locations, but I don't want to turn this into more of a drive-a-thon and I do not need to find any tripod holes to shoot from. So what is a good area to explore around/in Dinosaur? I'd also be interested in any man-made structures in the Dinosaur area and back east across Colorado for the trip home.

If you are near the Island in the Sky district you shouldn't miss that. If you want more specific info e mail me off line and I'll share some neat spots with you.

Real photographs are born wet !

www.PowerOfProcessTips.com

Henry, I've not been to Dinosaur, but my friend Darren has a page about it. It may give you some ideas.
    Check it out here.

I gather you'd prefer to avoid the Arches/Canyonlands tourist mecca to the south.

I've seen some magnificent photographs taken in the nearby Uinta mountains (High Uinta Wilderness). Fort Bridger is an interesting historic site in southwest Wyoming (among other exploits, the ill-fated Donner party passed through here), although I'm not sure how photogenic the site actually is. I've always been intrigued by the Bridger Wilderness in Northwest Wyoming (check out this photograph: ttp://www.radiantlandscape.com/gallery.php?c=3&n=00484) , although it requires hiking and is probably farther than you'd like to drive.

We found the bone quarry at the Dinosaur National Monument Visitor Center to be absolutely fascinating. It's actually indoors and I'm not sure how good the lighting will be for LF (it's been years since we visited) but it's certainly worth considering. You actually get to see dinosaur bones being removed from the quarry's hillside in real time.

Lastly Rifle Falls State Park and of course Rocky Mountain National Park are always good on the way back to Denver.

Thanks guys,

I am probably avoiding the Moab area on account of the extra drive, but who knows for sure?
    Eric, the Dinosaur Visitor Center seems to be an interesting building in itself. I've been looking at some Utah ghost towns on-line, maybe I can make some of those.

I'm still eager to hear more if anyone has input.

Henry-
    By floating the Green, you will have the best advantage of the Dinsosaur area. The Gates of Ladore is very senic, and a lot of floaters start there. On the other side of the monument (off of highway 40) is a semi-four wheel drive road (depends on weather whether or not you need 4 wheel drive) called Echo Park Road. Lots of great overlooks and access to hiking down into the Yampa River canyon (which joins with the Green). Drop down into Steamboat Rock (minimalistic campground at the end) and you go through a very tight and steep canyon descent that's full of picture opportunities (lighting is challenge), then open up to a couple of old and rapidly desintegrating cabins that I think we're used by ranchers at one point. There is a ranger cabin at Steamboat Rock, but I've never seen anyone there. Echo Park Road continues along the Yampa Bench (someday I'm going to hike throughout Castle Park area - it's quite obvious from the dirt road - very senic). On the other side of Dinosaur (highway 318) is the Gates of Ladore entrance plus a lot of western history and structures (e.g. John Jarvie historic property, etc.). The general area is called Browns Park, and is mostly state land or BLM. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid hung out here occasionally. Stop at any BLM office with maps and pick up one for the area. East back through Craig and Steamboat (my growing up town), Mt. Zirkell wilderness, Hahns Peak district, etc. As with most western areas, too much to see and not enough time!
    The only trouble with doin' nothing is you can't tell when you get caught up

Henry,

You might want to check out a place called Fantasy Canyon. It is a small area that is filled fwith incredible rock formations. You can find its location by checking with the BLM office in Vernal Utah.

Rich, thanks for covering! I was up there again this weekend. Can't get enough of the place. I hadn't been up during the spring runoff before, but man, the rivers were full and flowin' like crazy. All kinds of rafters out, too, as one might imagine. I've never been on a rafting trip before, but if I were to ever go, this would be my first destination. What a kick in the pants that would be going through those canyons.

Henry, I'd be interested in seeing some shots from your kayak outing after you get back, if possible.

Darren - I'll post pictures for sure.

Thanks guys!