Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fomapan 4x5 sheet film and Xtol

Re: Fomapan 4x5 sheet film and Xtol

I've done scientific tests and comparisons with several films at different speeds in different developers. My opinion is that Xtol is a small roll film developer, 35mm. With D-76 and HC-110 you get better edge sharpness.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by loonatic45414 View Post
    I've done scientific tests and comparisons with several films at different speeds in different developers. My opinion is that Xtol is a small roll film developer, 35mm. With D-76 and HC-110 you get better edge sharpness.

In real life use it's the other way around particularly with Tmax and similar fi, and that's reflected in Kodak#s testing and recommendations as well.

Ian

Wouldn't my tests be considered "real life"? Disagree if you will, I'm not disputing your experience, but don't say what I'm doing has nothing to do with real life.

Just look at Kodak's own information, Xtol gives finer grain than HC110 and D76 is a touch grainier than HC110, Xtol gives the best sharpness followed by D76 then HC110 and in terms of shadow detail Xtol is the best of the three, HC110 the worst.

My experience with all three developers mirrors this, it's why I switch to Xtol when it was released back in the 1980s.

Ian

I have tested 22 different films, Agfa, Efke, Kodak, Ilford, Kentmere, Foma, Svema, Rollei, Fuji Acros, even old emulsions Double-X, Royal Pan, Pan-X, Plus-X... Xtol loses resolving power. Fine lines aren't as crisp with it. That's my experience. I prefer to run my own tests using & choosing dilutions, agitation, temperature, film exposure & developing times that emphasizes the traits I look for in a developer. At the 35mm level, grain is much more important & I may sacrifice a little edge sharpness in Xtol to achieve that. What you are likely using is a basic recommendation from Kodak & I'm not knocking that. However, when I do have an acceptable level of grain I am comfortable with having, D-76 is my choice for detail resolution. It varies with film, exposure, dev time, agitation, temperature and dilution, but it is the case in over 90% of tests, and from that I feel comfortable making a general statement. That's not published data, that's my real life experience.

It is known that solvent developers yield finer grain & non-solvent developers have better image sharpness. D-76 and Xtol have varying degrees of each. But the action of the developer upon the image grains will yield more of one, than the other. Different dilutions will yield different results as will other factors. However, as a general guide for the newbie I am offering that they begin with Xtol for 35mm, D-76 for medium format, HC-110 for large format. Some choose to read the tech publication, that's fine. But for those who want more than a general shake-n-bake, no-brain approach, I am simply offering my experience.

What you are likely using is a basic recommendation from Kodak & I'm not knocking that.
    I've never used Kodak's basic recommendations except perhaps as a starting point, all my developing times, dilutions, EI etc are based on practical testing.

I just totally disagree with your comment below which goes completely against my experience, and that of others and Kodak's own data.

Ian

So why do you suppose people still buy D-76? Please enlighten me with some of your test data and perhaps convince me, otherwise if you've nothing of substance to contribute, good day.

So why do you suppose people still buy D-76? Please enlighten me with some of your test data and perhaps convince me, otherwise if you've nothing of substance to contribute, good day.

You could equally ask why anyone uses HC110 it's the worst for shadow detail/film speed, not so good for sharpness - but it's convenient and has extremely good keeping properties.

I've no interested in enlightening you about anything, you wouldn't accept anything anyway. My tests are done so that I can get the best from film & developer combinations, they aren't meant to be something shared as they reflect my own way of working. However essentially you're saying that even Kodak the manufacturer is wrong.

Ian

No, their recommendations are a starting point. You yourself said that you used their data but went further to refine it. If it's so perfect, then why change it at all? There is no wrong when it comes to art. But when I adjust their recommendation to maximize that quality which I seek, i.e. minimal grain, image sharpness, contrast, tonal curve, pushability, shadow detail, gamma, etc, one developer is not the final word on everything. For some of us, Kodak doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of providing us with all the possibilities and nuances. Anyway, I'd love to compare notes with others who dare to explore the possibilities & their findings. Hearing from people who just rehash what little Kodak tells us as gospel really doesn't serve to benefit the discussion. So thanks for chiming in, but I have learned nothing at all up to this point. Good day.