Thread: Mr. Cad, London's great large format shop

Vince Donovan

Mr. Cad, London's great large format shop

Hi friends, I'm sure it is old news to members of this forum, but I was in London this week and stumbled into Mr. Cad (near Victoria Station), the best film-only camera shop I've seen in years. It's one of those shops that's a joy just to explore.

Mr. Cad has a very deep inventory in all film-related photography, especially large format. If there is something you are looking for they are worth contacting. The owner, Alex Falk, is an old-school photo guy, very knowledgable, very friendly, and I received excellent service. They are experienced with international orders and shipping.

Best of all, with the current exchange rate, his prices are reasonable. Six months ago this would not have been the case. While I would not wish ill on our friends across the pond, I hope the British Pound stays in the tank for a while longer.

Anway, if you are in London, you MUST go, if only to have a nice afternoon in a real old-fashioned camera shop. Of course they are well stocked with film of all sizes and darkroom supplies if you need some on the road.

http://www.mrcad.co.uk/

On Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/Mr-Cad-Phot...4994033182462/

Re: Mr. Cad, London's great large format shop

Apparently you have been misled, they are not a film only shop. There web site has 14 pages of digital.see here: http://www.mrcad.co.uk/Shop.ink?products/158

Vince Donovan

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Apparently you have been misled, they are not a film only shop. There web site has 14 pages of digital.see here: http://www.mrcad.co.uk/Shop.ink?products/158
    Hmm! I didn't see any digital gear at their shop, just an avalanche of film cameras, lenses, accessories and supplies.

Quote Originally Posted by vdonovan View Post
    Hmm! I didn't see any digital gear at their shop, just an avalanche of film cameras, lenses, accessories and supplies.
    You ever visit the Bear Images store in Palo Alto?

Welcome to London vdonovan!

You're right - Alex who has run MrCad for decades and his shop are dominantly pro-silver emulsion and traditional photographic film based emulsions retailers. The shop has never been interested in digital much apart from supplying the local photography colleges in London and the Holga hipsters. Their previous shop was 6000 square feet of purely traditional processes materials and hardware. Whereas they might not be a film only shop, they are one of the most supportive local shops for film based photography with strong links with Thomas Mahn & suppliers to bring in some often very obscure products into the city. They were one of the largest suppliers of the famous Docter Apo-Germinar lenses following the death of their founder; the largest importer of Seagull Oriental paper (cadmium laced before the EU directive); one of the last suppliers of traditional 150 watt incandescent enlarger bulbs; suppliers of Kodak Panatomic X just last year ago; whole plate material as well as being a mine of knowledge from decades of work as a professional photographer and the knowledge of just about every obscure photographic part and item you could come across.

It's definitely worth a visit although I still lament the passing of its larger and remote warehouse, the staff who work there have been the most helpful and professional you could hope for. Love MrCad

Teamwork (Foley Street) are still very much trading and supporting large format film based work alongside their larger digital sales if you are near the Oxford Circus area.

Kind regards,

RJ