Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello from smalltown Southern Georgia

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hello from smalltown Southern Georgia

Hello, I'm new to large format. I took a photography class in high school many years ago and got hooked. Over the years, life and a growing family got in the way and my camera collected dust. So a few years ago I purchased a DSLR and sold my film gear. Later, I went to purchase an additional lens for my DSLR and the owner of the shop had a Bronica ETRS camera and I thought "wouldn't this be cool to use?" so I bought it and was hooked again. More medium format cameras later (TLR, Folders) I came across a Mamiya press camera bundled with an ancient Speed Graphic and Calumet monorail.

Now I was hooked on large format! I used the Speed Graphic but he monorail was too burdensome, for me, to lug around so I consigned that camera and acquired Horseman HF which I foresee getting a lot of use. I shoot mostly outdoors with my other cameras and this package will be used in the same way.

I look forward to perusing the forums here and reading up on various topics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Horseman in tall cotton.jpg  

Foamer

Re: Hello from smalltown Southern Georgia

Nice start. You should be hitting 8x10 in about a year & half.

kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    Nice start. You should be hitting 8x10 in about a year & half.

kent in SD
    This disease progresses?

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by morecfm View Post
    This disease progresses?

Kent in SD

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FoldersM.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	158103Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CCharrison1851.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	158104Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BrowniesS.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	158105Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MEMOannieS.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	158106
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

This disease progresses?
    Yep! I started with 35mm and then digital, and medium format and then 4x5. I have an 8x10 now but I doubt I'll go larger. Still, 11x14 contact prints are pretty nice!

Welcome to the forum!

Alan, I'm originally from St. Louis. Is there a photo store up there that has any interesting film stuff besides the little bit at Creve Coeur Camera. I like Schiller's for preowned digital equipment. I'm usually up there a couple times a year.

Alan, I'm originally from St. Louis. Is there a photo store up there that has any interesting film stuff besides the little bit at Creve Coeur Camera. I like Schiller's for preowned digital equipment. I'm usually up there a couple times a year.

Unfortunately, no.

I live in Brentwood so Schiller's is 5 minutes away from me. They are like Creve Coeur Camera and only have a little bit of new darkroom stuff (8x10 paper, chemicals, trays, tongs, etc.) and a bit of used gear. They had some used Hasselblads but I didn't see any the last time I was there. Just a few used 35mm cameras and used dslr's. They do sell 35mm and medium format roll film but no sheet film. No real film camera stores any longer in St. Louis. I really miss City Photo Stockhouse down by the Brewery and their large stock of used film gear!

There is a camera show put on at a local hotel a couple times a year. I went once and have been trying to go back. The last one just happened but I had caught a virus after I picked my grandson up from school. He caught it too. Mostly 35mm cameras for sale with a little medium format gear. One seller had a few large format lenses but nothing interesting. I did get a good deal on a Leitz Tiltall tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Unfortunately, no.

I live in Brentwood so Schiller's is 5 minutes away from me. They are like Creve Coeur Camera and only have a little bit of new darkroom stuff (8x10 paper, chemicals, trays, tongs, etc.) and a bit of used gear. They had some used Hasselblads but I didn't see any the last time I was there. Just a few used 35mm cameras and used dslr's. They do sell 35mm and medium format roll film but no sheet film. No real film camera stores any longer in St. Louis. I really miss City Photo Stockhouse down by the Brewery and their large stock of used film gear!

There is a camera show put on at a local hotel a couple times a year. I went once and have been trying to go back. The last one just happened but I had caught a virus after I picked my grandson up from school. He caught it too. Mostly 35mm cameras for sale with a little medium format gear. One seller had a few large format lenses but nothing interesting. I did get a good deal on a Leitz Tiltall tripod.
    Is OJ still there?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Is OJ still there?
    Yes. I just called them to make sure. The salesman said he had no large format cameras or lenses. For medium format he does have some Mamiya and Bronica 645 equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Yes. I just called them to make sure. The salesman said he had no large format cameras or lenses. For medium format he does have some Mamiya and Bronica 645 equipment.
    Alan: Any good sources for processing 120 in St Louis these days? When I had my studio in Edwardsville, I sent my MF film to Meisel and Lisle Ramsey did my sheet film processing. I imagine they, as well as St Louis Photo, Jefferson Camera, et al, are just memories these days.