Thread: Shen-Hao Folding Focusing Hood

Shen-Hao Folding Focusing Hood

Hi ya'll!

I just got a Shen-Hao folding focusing hood and while I thought it would clip onto the ground glass frame somehow, that isn't the case. There are five little screws involved in the installation.

So do any of you folks have one of these? Do you like them?

I'd appreciate your thoughts on the subject as I'm not sure how keen I am to start screwing things into my Shen. Thanks in advance!!

I use it with normals and long lenses most of the time instead of the dark cloth. Useless with wide angle lenses with my Beattie Intescreen. But it's a snap to pop it off when you go wide.

It also does a great job protecting the ground glass. I'd recommend it!

So... (and gosh, I hope this question makes sense) which way did you install it? And should the metal pop-up lid open down or open up? Does that make sense?

Ok, maybe this would be easier... How do you install the darned thing?

I don't own one, but every hood like this that I've ever seen opens with the metal panel up when the back is mounted horizonally.

I don't own a Shen, Ellen, but their folding focusing hood looks very similar to the Toyo hood. On the Toyo hood, one pin is fixed and the other is spring loaded. The pins fit into small holes that are pre-drilled into the inside edge of the back. Hopefully, your Shen is pre-drilled, too, as it would be difficult to drill the holes after the back is assembled.

Hiya Ralph! After reading your post, I took a second look at my back and nope! no pre-drilled holes. So just to experiment, I temporarily mounted the hood with some blue goo (you know that stuff that looks like clay that you can use to make stuff stay put in still lfe set-ups). To be brutally honest, I'm not impressed. The viewing quality wasn't improved enough to justify drilling into my gg frame. So the thing is going back from hence it came.

Thanks anyway, everyone, for your input!!

Ellen,

You can get a new GG frame for like $15 bucks.

I didn't install my folding focusing hood, it came with mine. But sounds like you didn't like it -- I am pretty much thrilled with mine simply because I'd prefer not to have to use the dark cloth for every shot.