Thread: C-Prints from Lambda/LightJet with proofs and accuracy?

Mr. Postman

C-Prints from Lambda/LightJet with proofs and accuracy?

I used to use Meridian Pro, the Dwayne's Photo's printing company.

They use the Lambda/LightJet style printer to make C-Prints, but I would order proofs that would be fine, and then order larger prints or multiple copies of the same size as the proof and the consistency was very poor. They won't let me send proofs to them to match the proofs to other orders.

Is there a good (decent priced) lab that will print digitalized images as C-Prints in regular and metallic paper that will also allow you to order proofs first and then approve the right ones, and send those back to them to match the proofs to additional prints?

I know there's a reason the Meridian Pro prices are so good and they have a lot of sales, but the consistency is all over the place.

Thank you.

Re: C-Prints from Lambda/LightJet with proofs and accuracy?

You are asking for almost the impossible

If you want this scenerio what I use to do with my clients was proof images at 10 am and have clients come in and in the same day run the balance.

What you are seeing is the inconsistency of the we RA4 process, that needs a lot of paper each day , and without the plots go off.

I stopped doing Cprints on my Lambda for this reason and as well I am convinced the Inkjet prints give me more flexibility and day to day consistency.

Mr. Postman

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    You are asking for almost the impossible

If you want this scenerio what I use to do with my clients was proof images at 10 am and have clients come in and in the same day run the balance.

What you are seeing is the inconsistency of the we RA4 process, that needs a lot of paper each day , and without the plots go off.

I stopped doing Cprints on my Lambda for this reason and as well I am convinced the Inkjet prints give me more flexibility and day to day consistency.
    Thank you for the reply.

Why is it impossible? I will pay for the initial proof, and mail the physical proof back to the lab. All they would have to do is ensure that the next print looks like or very close to the proof. I have had to re-order sometimes 3-4 times to get s close match and they have done it for free because of the error, I would think it would cost someone less to have the print in front of them?

I do not live anywhere close to a lab that does C-Prints so being there myself would be more impossible.

Thank you for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by fauxtographer51 View Post
    Thank you for the reply.

Why is it impossible? I will pay for the initial proof, and mail the physical proof back to the lab. All they would have to do is ensure that the next print looks like or very close to the proof. I have had to re-order sometimes 3-4 times to get s close match and they have done it for free because of the error, I would think it would cost someone less to have the print in front of them?

I do not live anywhere close to a lab that does C-Prints so being there myself would be more impossible.

Thank you for the reply.
    I think this falls into custom match quality and yes you are right if you are paying a premium price you can get match, Those kind of prints can be upwards of $100 per 11 x14 prints in a good lab.
    Basically the chemical balances change day to day and this is what you are seeing.

My point was based on what typically happens on mail order work, but if you are indeed paying for a premium print service you should expect dead nuts matching.

Another point which may be lost is back when we were not dealing with digital there were in each lab a colour corrector, whose job it was to balance within 1cc of colour correction, I did this for 20 years and I can tell you good colour correctors are few and far between.

These days I am afraid most technicians are dealing with auto corrections via some type of white balance and there may not be someone on board who can tell the difference in colour to exact standards.
    My point above had nothing to do with you being on hand to see the print rather than the speed in which colour chemistry drifts, day to day.