Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sourcing a helicoil focuser

Re: Sourcing a helicoil focuser

Scale of manufacture is irrelevant. Back to topic, there are various helicals available that are marked for focus distance based on extension. Infinity calibration is done by the user by setting up the camera to infinity based on their design or needs with the helical at min. extension. These are easily found via the Chinese distributors mentioned or larger manufacturers for specific lenses they make. Hacks from cheap helicals from old lenses are also workable with more work/risk.

OP should mention what lens.
    Last edited by Oren Grad; 23-Nov-2016 at 09:53. Reason: Deleted portion that was direct response to deleted rude post
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Neat. So much great information here, thanks everyone!!!

I definitely have no use/need for focus scale, I'm going to be focusing on ground glass. This would just make my box cameras so much easier to build. It's going to be mounting a 65mm f8 Angulon.

The schneider ones, while expensive, are very nicely made and excellent to use. I expect the Chinese ones are probably not as smooth nor have as many grooves for alignment, but I am not sure. Cannibalizing an old 35mm lens is a nice option too.

I took a ballpeen hammer to a variable doubler/extension tube thing once - knocked the glass out of it

worked pretty good for like 5 bucks invested

Quote Originally Posted by bobbotron View Post
    Neat. So much great information here, thanks everyone!!!

I definitely have no use/need for focus scale, I'm going to be focusing on ground glass. This would just make my box cameras so much easier to build. It's going to be mounting a 65mm f8 Angulon.
    That means that the length of the helicoid, plus any adaptors, must be no longer then the flange focal length of the lens, or it will not be capable of focusing to infinity. Make sure that you check this before buying one.

I recently purchased one of the helicoid focuses from China, along with a mounting flange and lens blank from Russia - total was a bit over $100 for all, if I remember. All is very well made. I built a box camera out of a cigar box and a 4X5 back. The focuser allows me to focus my 90mm Super Angulon from about 3 ft to infinity. Perfect for what I use it for. I think I did a post on it in the DIY section a while back.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

I have made focus mts out of 35mm faster (50mm/f1.4) camera lenses for WA LF lenses, but a problem that often comes up is that even with the larger lens barrels, there can be a slight "tunnel" effect, where if a lens were mounted on the front, the extreme coverage can be limited due to cut-off... Even when using a lens with an extended rear element, it might still cut-off and the element might not fit in that barrel...

Another tough lesson was while making a larger focuser from a empty Mamiya press focus mount for a 65mm/f8 SA, was even that would cut-off the edges for 4x5...

If you look for a focuser, find the slimmest one that does not protrude much from the rear, so it does not get in the way...

Steve K

Here is the page where I show my box camera with helicoid focuser. The mounting flange and lens blank were from ebay seller rafcamera-dealer. The helicoid focuser, size 17mm-31mm M65 to M65, was from ebay seller hunter20099. The quality of all is very good and as I said, functions perfect with my 90mm SA lens.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Here is the page where I show my box camera with helicoid focuser. The mounting flange and lens blank were from ebay seller rafcamera-dealer. The helicoid focuser, size 17mm-31mm M65 to M65, was from ebay seller hunter20099. The quality of all is very good and as I said, functions perfect with my 90mm SA lens.
    Very cool! Thanks for the info, that's really helpful. I'm bookmarking this discussion for when I get around to doing something similar...

Interesting solutions here. Randy does your focuser rotate the lens as you focus or does it remain straight ? might be what I'm looking for, have acquired an Angulon, film holders and lens for viewfinder ( a wide angle converter) now need to make up the body.