Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tripod & Carry-On

Drew Wiley

Re: Tripod & Carry-On

Checking it in is easy. The hard part is that you might never see it again! I've checked in big klunker wooden tripods in their own independent carry bag. Not the
    kind of thing that sell on the street. But I wouldn't ever want a sexy modern-looking tripod inside a suitcase, any more than I'd put a camera in one. Too much
    risk. Have already had enough problems with baggage handler pilferage and loss.

If you want to construct a cheap & rigid shipping tube, get some schedule 40 PVC pipe from the hardware store & put locking caps on the ends. Then ship or check it.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

seezee at Mercury Photo Bureau
    seezee on Flickr
    seezee's day-job at Messenger Web Design

Drew Wiley

I use a big tube of PVC drainage pipe and endcaps for my big tripods in my truck. Doesn't look as tempting to smash n' grab as a cordura bag with a photo logo on it. Also keep me from getting stabbed with the spiked feet if I'm sleeping back there.

Tripods to carry on no problem. I just did it last Saturday from NY city to Costa Rica. I had a backpack with camera and tripod in the separate tripod carry bag.

Never had a problem carrying a tripod on dozens of flights. Maybe if I didn't also have a 4 x 5 Technika in my bag it would look strange, but with 35+ pounds of camera gear I think they'd be surprised if I didn't have a tripod.

My wife and I went to the Dallas area for Thanksgiving and I took my Gitzo 1228 on the plane. I packed my back pack full of 4x5 gear and it fit in the overhead without a hitch. A guy on the plane told me he should have taken his tripod when he saw mine.

Can't speak about the Americas, but tripods are definitely not allowed in the cabin in Europe. This has been in force for a very long time. Another item specifically mentioned are nail scissors!

Quote Originally Posted by seezee View Post
    If you want to construct a cheap & rigid shipping tube, get some schedule 40 PVC pipe from the hardware store & put locking caps on the ends. Then ship or check it.
    I have used PVC pipe with threaded end caps to check fishing equipment on aircraft. It would work well for a tripod.