Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: wide angle friendly field camera

wide angle friendly field camera

After working with some borrowed equipment (a Tecknika 3 and a Toyo CF) I have decided to take the plunge and purchase my own camera. I should probably mention I shoot alot of landscapes and the odd building now and then. I have figured out that I like back base tilt as my main movement. It is one of the reasons I liked the 3 over the CF.

I have been using lenses from 75 to about 350 and I find the 75 to be my favorite.

I really like shorter lenses and would like to get a 75mm as my main and first lens. After working with a 75 and a 90 I found the 75 easier to work with than the 90. Well at least the f/8 models. The f4 models are nice but too big for field work so I am going for the 75. I have not settled on a long lens but really a 210, 240 or 300 would suffice.

Yes I have tried a 150 and they are nice but I find that view too boring-I just prefer the look a wide angle gives. I also know the 110 XL Schneider is a great lens from reading here. It might be a future pick up but not a first lens. Future desired lenses are more likely to be a 58mm, the 110 XL, and a short long (maybe the 240 Fuji).

So I am trying to decide on a body. Simplicity has high value for me. Ideally it will be wide angle friendly and work with the 75mm lens, preferably without having to change the bellows or use a recessed board. The alternative is a wide angle bellows that can stay on all the time. Like I said, I want it to be simple- if I have to change the bellows every time I set up then I will get frustrated with the camera.

I also would like easy to change orientation (portrait/landscape).

I like the Teck 3 rotating back, rear base tilt but not 75mm friendly.

The CF is cheap, but no back movements.

Toho seems to fiddly, especially to change orientation.

Wondering about Cadet Wide, Shen Hao, Tachihara. Maybe even a Badger M1 or Arca-Swiss (Field or Discovery) .

The Technikardian is out of my price range. Weight does not bother me. Size might. Well-at least the size of something like a Toyo GX monorail does. I would like whatever I choose to be able to fit in a LowePro backpack.

So in summary, I have seen and used a few cameras. I shoot outdoors. I want a 75mm friendly camera with back base tilt. Down the road I may add a 58 or 210.

Will one camera setup meet my needs? Thank you for any help.

morty

It is too bad you have a price limitation. I had used a Tech III for many years and then I got a Tech V for a short while and then a Master Tech 2000, which had so many issues I returned that and bought an Ebony 45SU. The Ebony is killer for wide angle photography. I use lenses ranging from a 58XL up to a 305 G-Claron, and the camera is a breeze to use. It is pricy but you will stop looking for another camera, which may make it more cost effective in the end!

Mort,
    Check out the Walker Titan; can't go wrong.

Good idea to check out Walker cameras. www.walkercameras.com. I got a Titan SF with bag bellows that have about 3 normal bellows folds at the back - I think the amount of extra bellows tacked on the back can be discussed with Mike Walker. I use lenses from 65 to 210 with this set up, with no problems at all. The 'standard' bellows that came on the camera were removed the day I bought it, and have been off ever since. Using the 65 lens is as easy as any other.

Easy - the Ebony 45S!!

For short focal length lenses the two considerations are: (1) how short a focal length can I use without needing a bag bellows, and (2) if that isn't short enough will the camera accept a bag bellows?

Ideally you'd like a camera that will go as short as you need without requiring a bag bellows (unless you keep the bag bellows on the camera at all times, which you might do given your lens choices). With that in mind I'd suggest looking at one of the Ebony non-folders, a Canham, or perhaps a used Zone VI or new Shen Hao if the Ebony and Canham prices are too steep.

One of the Canham models (sorry, I forget which one, I can't keep the Canham children's initials straight) will go as short as 58mm I believe without the need for a bag bellows. A Tachihara will go to 65mm without a bag bellows but not shorter and you indicate a future interest in a 58mm lens. One of the Ebony non-folders would be ideal if you don't mind the non-folding aspect and never go longer than their maximum extension (which I think is something around 150 or 210, the Ebony web site will give you the actual number ). Personally I wouldn't buy an Ebony non-folder becuase of the limitation on longer lenses. While you're primarily interested in short focal lengths now, you might be surprised to find that your photographic vision and interests change over time (at least you hope they do, it certainly would get very boring to always make only one type of photograph).

Used Zone VI cameras and new Shen Haos can be had for under $1000 and both accept a bag bellows. Personally I wouldn't buy a Shen Hao because of the short (12") maximum bellows extension but that might not bother you.

Linhof Technikas are my preferred camera out of the various large format cameras I've owned and I've owned quite a few (and tried even more). But I can't recommend any Technika other than the Master 2000 for your purposes because of the difficulty of using leneses shorter than 75mm on them (and the Master 2000 is very expensive and almost never available used). I think you're right to reject the CF because of the absence of back movements.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Speaking as a long-time user, the Zone VI will work with a 75mm lens but it's not really convienient. There are better choices.

I agree about liking back base tilts. Take a look at the Arcas. An older, pre-1980s Arca is still a light, compact design, and you can get a new leather bag bellows fitted with the older style frames, so it is compatiable. They came in three variations - with base tilts, axis tilts, and base and axis tilts. Make sure you don't get the axis tilt model...

Surprised you had trouble with a Technika 2000 - care to elaborate?

Mort, I'm with Frank - I'm also interested in what issues you had with the Linhof....

Just about any of the Arcas will do. Even an 8x10 is a joy to use with wide angle- if the rail is in the photo, everything slides up and out of the way.