Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: San Francisco - Mass Transit only, where to go?

Re: San Francisco - Mass Transit only, where to go?

One more point, I've heard the Mt Diablo area has a lot of deer ticks carrying Lyme disease....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ticks are the worst! Been there done that, in Florida - not a fun experience. I wear clothes that usually prevents tick issues but I will keep vigilant.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

San Francisco - Mass Transit only, where to go?

For me Pt. Reyes is always frustrating - while their are parts that are quite distinctive particularly the cliffs of Drakes Beach, and from Chimney Rock to the Lighthouse, the interior parts of mostly rolling farmland and not particularly interesting. The Tule Elk on the Northern most point are fun to see and there is an old dairy farm there which makes for interesting shots. My best shots have been outside the park from the West side of Tomales Bay looking towards Bolinas Ridge. Also the town of Point Reyes Station has some interesting buildings. Most of West Marin County is farmland, protected by easements, and quite photogenic. Right now it's emerald green looking like Ireland! We have and are having a very wet winter.

Vince Donovan

Quote Originally Posted by angusparker View Post
    If you need LF supplies you can check out GlassKey in SF - call then to reserve any specific film if you don't want to carry it on the plane.

Another vote for Glass Key. Just a fun and friendly place for a LF photographer to visit. If you are taking the #7 bus from downtown to Golden Gate Park, you can jump off at Fillmore and say hello to the guys at Glass Key.

Vince Donovan

Quote Originally Posted by angusparker View Post
    One more point, I've heard the Mt Diablo area has a lot of deer ticks carrying Lyme disease....

I've hiked on Mt. Diablo for many years and haven't contracted Lyme disease. It's good to be cautious, though, and wear appropriate clothing.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

December coincides with the grey whale migration south and you can view them from several coast-side locations in the bay area and/or sign on for a day long whale watching cruise : http://sfbaywildlife.info/activities/whale_watching.htm

Thomas

On a trip to SF I was staying in Oakland, near a BART station. On Saturday I decided to take a foot tour of SF with a Linhof Technorama 617S, a Rollei 6xxx outfit and a Rollei 3000 system. I walked to the BART and took it to the Embarcadaro, walked up to Coit Tower, down Lombard, over to the Alcatraz ferry. Went to Alcatraz, took the tour, ferried back to the pier, walked to Fisherman's Wharf, had lunch at Alioto's, viewed the submarine exhibit, walked back to the Embaradaro station. BART back to Oakland and walked back to the hotel and slept until Monday.
    Could I do that today, even if I wanted to? No way! But it was a fun day and easily doable.

Got any photos of that??
    How'd you carry it all?

After sifting through some gear I have decided my current backpacks are too small or too big so I bought a new medium sized pack for this trip. Going to shove my Chamonix and 4 lenses in it along with my Leica and a few lenses so I can do it all. Maybe the TravelWide too just in case.

As I presently look out the window at heavy rain, be prepared for same on your visit. December can be wet, or sunny. For indoors, two very fine museums with photography exhibits should be on your list: The Oakland Museum of California, and the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, both of them near BART.

Thanks for the heads-up. I've almost forgotten what rain looks like! (We are in a severe drought here.) Will plan to punt if it rains and do more indoors.