Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: "Like" feature as possible response?

Re: "Like" feature as possible response?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    If you feel the need to express it you could say "I like that image but it's hard to elaborate exactly why". That's a more meaningful and thought-provoking comment than a mere Like would give.
    Let's go to a "picture is worth a 1000 words." Look at the November 2016 Portrait sub-forum, pages 4 through 6. There were two portraits that I really liked and wanted to let the photographer know, but without reposting the picture, or using a post to simply say "I like this a lot." Look at the posts from Robin-SUN and Pali K (both of which I would have "liked") and see how many times the images were re-posted, and the comments given. They were the images and re-posts I had in mind when I started this thread. So I for one would appreciate and use a button.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    What are you even trying to get at?
    You said that opposing a Like button was Luddite, and reflected the age of APUG posters. I asked a simple question. Would opposing a Dislike button also be Luddite?

Well first of all, wrong forum. Secondly, being smarmy doesn't help anything. I didn't oppose a dislike button, so again what are you trying to get at, that I only want a Like button? I don't care if they implement both. I see more uses for a Like button though, specifically in reference to images as Peter has summarized above. Though if you feel like going and disliking images, have at it.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I think the point is you dismissed the opinions of those who were not in favor of a Like button using the pejorative term Luddite, and further implied that they were objecting to the Like button because they were old. There are perfectly valid reasons for objecting to a Like button that have nothing to do with age or technophobia. The proposed Like button is not limited to images, but covers other posts as well. If we had a Dislike button, I could have just Disliked your statement, and you in turn could have Disliked mine, and each gone about our business without unnecessary back and forth.

Are you sure you know what smarmy means? It means ingratiating and wheedling in a way that is perceived as insincere or excessive. For example, a Like button might be used in a smarmy manner.

Sure, you are absolutely correct. And therefore...aren't you just proving that a like/dislike button could be nice?

That being said, the negativity of a dislike button I think is more controversial and debatable truly. Facebook does not have a dislike button so as to keep negativity to a minimum.

And if you've got some valid reasons that you'd like to share, feel free to add them. I don't think you've actually added any kind of reasoning to oppose or agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Sure, you are absolutely correct. And therefore...aren't you just proving that a like/dislike button could be nice?
    I am not proving anything; I am offering a point of view.

As is everyone else.

Here is my "unpopularity" take on it. A lot of the more active members here have a lot of posts that are non photo related diatribes about things like....well...this new idea. Or bears in the wilderness, or how to defend yourself when shooting LF at night, in Compton, while wearing a Confederate Flag. These people live for the debate, but since politics is disallowed, they want to criticize any new idea. They know better than to criticize the work, technique, or equipment of photographers very often. So they spend thousands of hours debating the forum itself, and whether moderation is too much, if the font sizes are too large, or if a Like button is needed. Be assured that ANY new idea will be slammed by these types of people, who generally take it to a personal level their first or second post. In a nutshell, they don't debate the idea like an educated adult, they cry, moan, and attack the person, like little cyber bullies in their parent's basements.

I only check into the LF forum occasionally anymore, because of all that. And because I'd rather DO something other than WRITE about what someone ELSE is about to do. The moderators here are good, and the members that want a better forum are good. The photographers are good. It's not too hard to figure out the goal of some that just come on to write a criticism and start an argument.

SIMPLE FIX: Call it a "concur" button. That shifts the feedback to the content, instead of the author.

To those worried about the popular kids, note that the way forums use a "Like" is not to create that. You don't "accrue likes" and wear them like medals on a uniform. I've never seen a count of how many likes a person has. You "like" a post, picture, or thought. It's about the idea/work, not the person. I seldom notice who the writer even is, a lot of us use handles or pseudonyms. And in polite society until the recent anonymity of the internet, you compliment a photographer in a gallery if you like their work. If you don't, you politely say nothing, and leave. What the nay-sayers are trying to do here, is stop people from having the ability to quickly "shake the person's hand" or "nod and smile."

I would click on a like button if it existed now for Garrett's last post, but will simply say that the last paragraph speaks for me as well.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Brazile View Post
    I would click on a like button if it existed now for Garrett's last post, but will simply say that the last paragraph speaks for me as well.

Robert
    Thank you, Robert. My feelings exactly.

Thank you, Garrett, well stated - especially last paragraph.

Dennis
    I know just enough to be dangerous !