Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Like" feature as possible response?

Re: "Like" feature as possible response?

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    It might also reduce the people quoting a large post with lots of photos, just to say "great shots!", bringing the same photos back up in the thread, over and over, and over....
    Since I started this thread ... Garrett, you hit it on the head! Full posts with commentary or critique are great, a repeat of the picture with the one word "lovely," not so much. But if I agree that a picture is "lovely" I'm kind of stuck.

It might also reduce the people quoting a large post with lots of photos, just to say "great shots!", bringing the same photos back up in the thread, over and over, and over....
    Garrett, Peter - thanks, that's a very good point. I'm thinking especially of the impact on those members who don't have a fast web connection.

I'm on another forum that has the Like feature.
    Me too. It doesn't seem to do much there, although some people perhaps actually take note of the number of likes. Doesn't seem to hurt, doesn't seem to add much value either.

See my rationale above. For people that don't look at it, it doesn't add value to them. Like any data.

👍
    See my rationale above. For people that don't look at it, it doesn't add value to them. Like any data.

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

I finished junior high school over half a century ago. I do not need nor do I want to be involved in beauty poster contests. If one needs such attention, I recommend that they cover all the walls in the place where they live with floor to ceiling mirrors so that they can admire themselves as much as they like. Adding "likes" makes me want to BARF!!! :sick:
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Again, it's a way to quickly note that you've read a certain post, without commentary that is sometimes Superfluous. It's not a popularity contest, it's a brevity feature. Think of it as a "Roger" statement on military radio, or an "agree".

For example, your type of reply is what we'd be trying to reduce, as well as the excessive one word "great!" or "I like it!" posts that take up 3 inches of screen at a minimum (about a whole screen if they are quoting an image to say that). Instead, if someone likes a photo or post, at the bottom of THAT POST it ads a simple marker. Simple, and no smoke, mirrors, or barf required.

Old School Wayne

I'm on another forum that has the Like feature. It works well to let people acknowledge that they agree, without having to write just that. It also gives a somewhat democratic tally as to whether something you write is off base, or on target. For example, if you write a post, and you get 4-5 likes, it is interesting. If you get NO likes, also interesting. Makes ya think, and all.....

Why should anyone care how many people like what they write? Is it what they wanted to say or not? That's the only important thing.

I agree. Why should the Facebook mentality be grafted onto the LF Forum?

Barf! Barf! Barf! Let the LF Forum be the LF Forum.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I finished junior high school over half a century ago. I do not need nor do I want to be involved in beauty poster contests. If one needs such attention, I recommend that they cover all the walls in the place where they live with floor to ceiling mirrors so that they can admire themselves as much as they like. Adding "likes" makes me want to BARF!!! :sick:
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

I don't think you guys "get" it.
    It's simply a more streamlined way of writing +1 or that you enjoyed a photo, without writing out a longer reply. It has nothing to do with attention-seeking. Sheesh, let's dial back the Luddite-ism. If it were implemented, you don't have to use it.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome