Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Like" feature as possible response?

"Like" feature as possible response?

Couldn't find if this has already been asked: would it be possible to add a "thumbs up" "like" feature similar to that in Facebook? I'm thinking in particular of the image and question forums. Currently, if I see an image I really like, and the photographer has said he or she is open to comments, I can post a response saying how much I enjoy the photographer's work. Frequently, if someone else has already complimented the image, we post a "+1." My thought is that rather than clutter up the threads with additional posts, it would be more efficient if there was a "thumbs up" icon to simply click on that, so that the image would have a "liked" count (again, like FB) rather than a bunch of posts. This would also be relevant to questions, where if someone has already posted an answer we agree with, we could reinforce that response with a "thumbs up."

Re: "Like" feature as possible response?

I would like that. Sometimes I like an image but it's hard to elaborate exactly why...

Cheers,

Renato

We looked into it some years ago. I would love that too. If I remember correctly, the guy that manages the software was concerned about future updates-in that it was an independent add on and might not keep up with the software updates of the base software.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Thumbs up Re: "Like" feature as possible response?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewin View Post
    Couldn't find if this has already been asked: would it be possible to add a "thumbs up" "like" feature similar to that in Facebook?
    👍

As far as I can tell, there is still no equivalent of a "like button" (or other emoticons similar to those on FaceBook) available in the standard vBulletin software options that doesn't require a responsive post.

There was a "thanks" hack that was circulated some years back, but the original developer disappeared from the vBulletin scene. Subsequent support for the hack seems sketchy. It doesn't appear that it was a direct equivalent of the FB like button, though.

I think that taking the time to post a "thanks" is time well spent because it takes an element of consideration and is more personal. Hitting a "like" button or emoticon makes the it less personal and more digital. My 2-cents anyway.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Seems foolish. If you want to comment, do so. Maybe taking time to actually think about a response will help clarify your thought process and result in more positive feedback for the photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Seems foolish. If you want to comment, do so. Maybe taking time to actually think about a response will help clarify your thought process and result in more positive feedback for the photographer.
    Expediente. The time I have to spend here is very limited. I will always write a comment if the situation deserves it AND I have time.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Those who have more to say and the time to say it would still be welcome to add full posts. Having this function would provide another option, is all.

We do appreciate the suggestion and we're taking a fresh look at the options for implementing such a function within our version of vBulletin to see whether it can be done at a reasonable cost and without materially affecting our maintenance burden.

I'm on another forum that has the Like feature. It works well to let people acknowledge that they agree, without having to write just that. It also gives a somewhat democratic tally as to whether something you write is off base, or on target. For example, if you write a post, and you get 4-5 likes, it is interesting. If you get NO likes, also interesting. Makes ya think, and all.....

It might also reduce the people quoting a large post with lots of photos, just to say "great shots!", bringing the same photos back up in the thread, over and over, and over....