Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

WWII Reenactment with Speed Graphic

Waxahachie,TX
    127 Ektar
    HP5 pulled to 200, Pyrocat HD 1:10 divided, Jobo

Re: WWII Reenactment with Speed Graphic

Only in Texas...

Here in Germany, you would get arrested for displaying the swastica and SS badge.

My favorite image is the third, it has a real period feeling.

Best,

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Michael E View Post
    Only in Texas...

Here in Germany, you would get arrested for displaying the swastica and SS badge.

My favorite image is the third, it has a real period feeling.

Best,

Michael
    Michael: You echoed my thoughts. I am partial to the same image, as I am a big Thompson fan. The image of the nurses has the period look, as well.

Bob

Thompson fan here too. I like the candid style of then nurses photo too. Just need some single weight FB paper to print these on. Mask a 1/4" white border, damage the edges a little.

Most people here would never show the Nazi badges for entertainment, but it's a routine part of accurately showing the opponents in that war. If it's uncomfortable, the reenactors succeeded.

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    Thompson fan here too. I like the candid style of then nurses photo too. Just need some single weight FB paper to print these on. Mask a 1/4" white border, damage the edges a little.

Most people here would never show the Nazi badges for entertainment, but it's a routine part of accurately showing the opponents in that war. If it's uncomfortable, the reenactors succeeded.
    Yes indeed. The senior member of the SS unit explained it best when we discussed the political incorrectness aspect. A woman once approached him after he gave his introduction; explaining that he and his comrades were there to give evil a face, to explain the technology the allies faced in the struggle to vanquish the biggest evil the world had ever known. The woman's mother was a Treblinka survivor and she wept as she embraced and hugged him for keeping the history alive.

Every year an elderly Jewish lady here hosts the SS re-enactors for dinner at her restaurant, in full dress uniform. Because she knows that to hide history is to forget it, and to forget it is to repeat it.

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    I wasn't talking about the political incorrectness aspect. It's just plain illegal in Germany (§86 StGB), punishable with up to 1 - 3 years in prison. There are exceptions for science, art, ecucation and journalism. We have mostly reenactments of Napoleonic wars around here - Napoleon lost some major battles just a few miles from here. Kinda hard to bring a historically correct camera to a battle of 1813...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael E View Post
    I wasn't talking about the political incorrectness aspect. It's just plain illegal in Germany (§86 StGB), punishable with up to 1 - 3 years in prison. There are exceptions for science, art, ecucation and journalism. We have mostly reenactments of Napoleonic wars around here - Napoleon lost some major battles just a few miles from here. Kinda hard to bring a historically correct camera to a battle of 1813...
    Considering the age and girth of some of the reenactors I've seen you might be able to use a Petzval and Ortho film to shoot them as "veterans" like this: http://mashable.com/2014/10/27/napol.../#6rN8oQp.EkqD

I think you could get some very cool images.

Quote Originally Posted by alanbutler57 View Post
    I think you could get some very cool images.
    I did :-) But I don't want to hijack this thread...

Well done sir! Of course everyone looks too clean and well-groomed, especially the soldiers, but that's the nature of re-enactments, I suppose. And is that a Daimler Ferret armoured car? I'd like one of those for my daily commute.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Well done sir! Of course everyone looks too clean and well-groomed, especially the soldiers, but that's the nature of re-enactments, I suppose. And is that a Daimler Ferret armoured car? I'd like one of those for my daily commute.

I was gonna say..they need to 'dirty up' some