Thread: Caution on update to Photoshop (CC 2017)

Caution on update to Photoshop (CC 2017)

I updated from CC 2015.5 to CC 2017 today, both PS and Bridge, and had a ton of problems with freezing up and crashes. The installation seemed to go fine so I made the change on two different Mac Pro computers, both running on El Capitan 10.11.6, before I figured out that there was a problem. Not so smart you are probably thinking! After several hours of trying to fix the mess I decided to revert to the previous versions of CC that I had been using, PS 2015.5 and Bridge 2015.

Do a search on the internet and you will see that many people appear to be having problems with the 2017 version of PS. My advice is to avoid the 2017 updates until Adobe fixes the bugs.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Re: Caution on update to Photoshop (CC 2017)

Sandy,

Thank you for the "heads up".
    I would have otherwise jumped right in and updated.

Dennis
    I know just enough to be dangerous !

Sandy, my experience has been quite the opposite on two Windows 10 machines. In both cases, Photoshop is running much smoother and is noticeably faster after the upgrade. All I needed to do was to move the plug-ins directory to the new 2017 folder and everything else migrated with the install.

Regards,

Pali

Same here when I upgraded my Macbook Air so I held off on my iMac where I do most of my editing.

Dumb I was thinking about the Sierra OS update. I did update both my machines to PS CC 2017 with no problems though I have not used the Air for anything of substance but with the iMac, yes, I have worked the crap out of the new PS with no problems. That's on a new 27" iMac, 4.0 GHZ 64gigs of ram-none of which should matter compared to the resources of a Mac Pro.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

No problem at all here on a Mac Pro running El Capitan aside from the usual stupid new features Adobe is touting. Disable them, get rid of the application frame, the pixel grid, tabbed windows and reset the horrid crop tool back to the old one, and you're good to go. The funny thing is that CC2015.5.1 constantly froze using the Liquefy tool whereas CC2015 and CC2017 did not. Weird. I've been pushing the new version pretty hard with a big commercial job the last week, working with very large psb files and it's been fine at every step - so far.

The one thing that you all need to know is that in Adobe's infinite wisdom, they wipe any previous CC version (along with your plugins) UNLESS you check the Advanced options at the Install window and UNCHECK the wipe option. You never ever want to wipe a previous version before you've fully tested the new one. Y'know, they might've screwed up the color in printing and never tested it like they did in CC2015.5.

So as much as we all love and rely on Ps, never take anything for granted, especially from a company that now has little incentive to innovate.

words of wisdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatchian View Post
    No problem at all here on a Mac Pro running El Capitan aside from the usual stupid new features Adobe is touting. Disable them, get rid of the application frame, the pixel grid, tabbed windows and reset the horrid crop tool back to the old one, and you're good to go. The funny thing is that CC2015.5.1 constantly froze using the Liquefy tool whereas CC2015 and CC2017 did not. Weird. I've been pushing the new version pretty hard with a big commercial job the last week, working with very large psb files and it's been fine at every step - so far.

The one thing that you all need to know is that in Adobe's infinite wisdom, they wipe any previous CC version (along with your plugins) UNLESS you check the Advanced options at the Install window and UNCHECK the wipe option. You never ever want to wipe a previous version before you've fully tested the new one. Y'know, they might've screwed up the color in printing and never tested it like they did in CC2015.5.

So as much as we all love and rely on Ps, never take anything for granted, especially from a company that now has little incentive to innovate.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I upgraded on my windows 10 pc. Works well for me. It did reset my configuration for "save for web" settings and UI zoom settings so I can actually see my interface on my 4k display. Haven't reviewed the printing settings yet.