Thread: Crown Graphic - Ground Glass Not Showing Image

Unhappy Crown Graphic - Ground Glass Not Showing Image

Ugh, this is such a n00b question, but here goes. I recently purchased a Crown Graphic and everything was working fine, and part way through my exploring it all of a sudden the ground glass isn't showing the image. It was working previously so I know it didn't come to me messed up. I'm not sure what I did to the lens? And I'm only assuming it's a lens issue, as I see an image when holding the shutter open. It's a Schneider-Kreuznach 135mm lens, was just adjusting the shutter speed / aperture rings to test they move fine and bam, can no longer see the image on my ground glass unless I set the shutter to Bulb mode and hold it open?! Of course I never ran into this issue years ago when I was shooting 4x5 in college, so I have no idea what is going on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161110_194327.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	157280

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161110_194303.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	157281

Re: Crown Graphic - Ground Glass Not Showing Image

Noob questions are welcomed here. Either you accidentally closed the shutter, blocking light from reaching the ground glass, or you stopped the lens down so far you can't tell. Generally not a good idea to adjust aperture and shutter speeds with the shutter open.

That type of Compur has a press focus button just over the B in your photo. To open the lens for focusing and viewing, cock the shutter and then release it while holding the button back. To close again for exposure, cock again. The camera must have been delivered to you with the shutter open, but then when you cocked it it closed and you don't know the secret to opening it again. By the way, your flash synchro switch is on M for flash bulbs. Be sure it is on X if you intend to use electronic flash.

Your shutter is a Synchro-Compur P. The P may look like D, not that that matters.

Cock the shutter. Press the little button above the shutter speed indicator backwards and hold it there. Fire the shutter. It will stay open until recocked.

Edit: typed while Neal was typing.

I love when questions like this show up on the forum ... reminds me of my early struggles and strange issues that turned out to be simple. This is a great hobby.

And, oh yeah ... after ten years, I'm still learning new things.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Chaves View Post
    That type of Compur has a press focus button just over the B in your photo. To open the lens for focusing and viewing, cock the shutter and then release it while holding the button back. To close again for exposure, cock again. The moultrie camera reviews must have been delivered to you with the shutter open, but then when you cocked it it closed and you don't know the secret to opening it again. By the way, your flash synchro switch is on M for flash bulbs. Be sure it is on X if you intend to use electronic flash.
    Yes, thank you. It is now showing image.
    Last edited by roseawebs; 18-Apr-2017 at 00:18.

I have a couple of these. Don't forget these are great press cameras, hand hold, use the rangefinder and focusing scale 400 Tmax, sunny 16. 500th at f16
    Best Regards Mike