Thread: Hello from Italy

Hello from Italy

Hi to all of the readers of my message. I have just registered to this forum because I now have a large format camera.
    I'am not new to photography or to analog photography.
    I take photo from the age of 15 with small format camera (Yashika FX3) for much years and then with digital poin and shoot.
    After a few years of pause i made a new begin with photography, but this time only with film, paper and developer
    In seven years of new practice I buy and use a Mamiya RB 67 with 3 lens (50, 90 and 180 mm), a Nikon Fe with 3 lens (24, 50 and 105) and a Hasselblad 500 CM with 3 lens (50, 80 and 150 mm).
    I shoot BW film, develop and print it in my temporary darkroom (bath-darkroom)
    The last 3 mounth I find two good opportunity to buy a used-like new Sinar Norma with a 150mm Schneider Symmar and a 210mm Fujinon W, and a used-good condition enlarger Durst Laborator 138S.
    And now I WILL TRYYYYYYYYYY large format photography.
    So help me if I ask something .............

Re: Hello from Italy

Welcome to the forum, ciennepi!

Hello ciennepi and welcome to the forum! A Sinar Norma is a very capable camera and I think the prettiest monorail ever made. Plus you have two real good lenses to go with it. Durst enlargers are nice too. I'd say you are off to a great start. Ask questions as you need. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here who will be glad to help.

Hi, ciennepi, and welcome to LFPF.

Feel free to post any questions you may have about the equipment, the materials, or the processes.

We'll be happy to help if we can.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Welcome to Large Format Photography Forum

We know that you are a wise person because you use film and use Hasselblads. Welcome!
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Thank you all for the welcome. And yes, Alan, I think that the Norma is a wonderful camera, for the design and the precision construction.
    The only drawback is it's weight, about 3,3 kg, but when I bought it I listen a lot of advice that, in the large format world, it's better to begin with a camera with full movements. With time I will understand what I really need and if I can skip to something lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by ciennepi View Post
    Thank you all for the welcome. And yes, Alan, I think that the Norma is a wonderful camera, for the design and the precision construction.
    The only drawback is it's weight, about 3,3 kg, but when I bought it I listen a lot of advice that, in the large format world, it's better to begin with a camera with full movements. With time I will understand what I really need and if I can skip to something lighter.
    That's a good way to look at it. First learn what you need.

The Norma has a lot of front rise for architecture. You can also use long lenses with it for head or head and shoulder portraits. I like heavy cameras and tripods for portraits. Sometimes you bump the camera or tripod when directing your subject. Heavy stays put. If you want to add a lighter field camera later you may want to keep the Norma too. Just buy a Sinar to Technika adapter lens board so you can easily swap lenses between the two cameras.