Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A problem with spots!!

A problem with spots!!

Attachment 157197 Attachment 157198
    First of all, my apologies for submitting a very similar query to two fora (this one and the paper negative section of Image Sharing (LF) and Discussion. However, I think my query has two aspects for consideration – apparatus and materials.
    To continue

I’m very confused with the ‘quality” of the last batch of paper negatives. As normal I cut up a 8x10 piece of paper from a box of Ilford MGIV RC de luxe pearl multigrade paper using a roller cutter to give me four “4x5” sheets and loaded two double dark slides. [I assume that the sheet of paper chosen was as per the box label, but as I was given the boxes of paper there is no certainty]. The paper was cut and loaded in a bedroom with closed curtains and an orange darkroom light. The only difference being that a new carpet had been laid in that bedroom. After wet chemistry processing the paper negative were scanned using a HP 3520 all-in-one printer.
    Image01 and image02 (both infested with dark spots) were taken sequentially on a tide line with a gusty wind blowing at right angles to the camera line of view. Image02 is a small section of the full 4x5 positive – It is noticeable on this image that the “spots” are often in threes and a triangular pattern. In both cases the exposure was 1s and f11.
    My camera is a Calumet CC 401 with long monorail. The lens is a xenar f4.7 135mm fitted with a 40.5 to 58mm ring onto which is screwed a 2x yellow filter and a lens hood.
    Paper negative processing was as usual - Jobo tank and 2509 holder using Ilford PQ Universal developer [1m], Ilfostop [10s], and Ilford rapid fixer [1m].

I’ve thought up some scenarios, but would like feedback before I increase the number of variables by dismantling the apparatus or using a new of piece of paper
    1] I’ve used a number of sheets of paper from the particular box of Ilford MGIV RC de luxe pearl – but there is always the possibility of a rogue piece of paper.
    2] The apparent pattern of spots of image02 could be inferred as due to static from the new carpet.
    3] Dust from cutting the 8x10 paper generates dust – could this be transferred to the DDS?
    4] A windy, wild, wet, salt laden situation could put drops on the filter, but the spots seem to be much smaller than would be expected from water droplets.
    5] Similarly it is unlikely that salt crystals on the filter would change their arrangement over the 10 minutes of so I was in front of the surging tide.
    6] Dust within the bellows???

Any and all help welcome.
    Regards
    Tony

Re: A problem with spots!!

you've got dust or material stuck on the paper before or at the time of exposure. Scanning dust would be white since it gets inverted. Blow out the interior of your camera, clean your scanner glass. If the paper is 2nd hand, it could have been a piece dropped on the floor or something and put back in the bag. I'd avoid carpeted rooms if possible for loading film holders. I shoot at the damp salty ocean all the time and it probably reduces dust more than anything.

You didn't notice you paper negatives riddled with white spots when you processed them?

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    You didn't notice you paper negatives riddled with white spots when you processed them?
    Jobo drum processing can't see paper in developer - didn't do more than glance at paper under orange safelight when transferring them from DDS to jobo tank.

regards
    Tony

What is DDS? You don't wash and dry the paper in white light?

What is DDS? You don't wash and dry the paper in white light?
    DDS = Double dark slide - all processing done in Jobo 2500 tank & 2509 insert.
    The cutting, insertion of cut paper, removal of exposed cut paper, and insertion of same into Jobo reel is done with orange dark room light switched on.
    Washing and drying of the developed, stopped and fixed papers is done in daylight or artificial light.
    Hence the problem was only observed at the washing stage.
    Given that I did not expect problems the above procedure is reasonable, and has worked without trouble before.
    However, in hindsight and knowledge of the problem I could have done the fixing in 'white light' Or thoroughly inspected the paper
    before cutting and/or insertion into the DDS.
    regards
    Tony

Ok, but are there white spots all over the processed paper negative? Or could you post a picture of the entire paper negative?

Attachment 157238 Attachment 157239

Ok, but are there white spots all over the processed paper negative? Or could you post a picture of the entire paper negative?
    As requested though I've had to save them as jpeg from the original tiff format.
    regards
    Tony

That has the appearance of sensitive material that has been dropped on the floor or has been placed on a dirty surface prior to exposure.

That has the appearance of sensitive material that has been dropped on the floor or has been placed on a dirty surface prior to exposure.
    I don't disagree with your diagnosis - curiosity only, how are you so certain?
    regards
    Tony