Thread: Bizarre portraits with LF---any suggestions??

Bizarre portraits with LF---any suggestions??

OK I'm working on getting permission to do a series of of portraits of some very unique people. These folks are behind poultry wire mesh enforced plexiglass panels and I'll be 3-4 ft. from thier faces("Big Head" shots, I guess) existing lighting as I won't be allowed any lighting other than flash which would make the plexiglass a giant flare.

I'm going to practice on a melon behind chickenwire andplastic to see what happens of course, but I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions? I could used my Rollieflex but I'd really prefer to use LF is at all possible.

Cheers!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

You might try some fun flash things with the strobe very high above, or to the side...eliminating the flare, and creating fun shadows.

Watch your DOF, so you can control how much of the mesh is visable - if you want any at all... Do you think you'll have some control over the subjects (ie. they'll take direction), or will you be restricted to photographing whatever they throw your way?... my inclination is that the Rolleiflex (with a Rolleinar 1, if needed) would make the job easier - especially if you'll have to chase the subject around a bit, but that might not be the point.

So - now I'm all curious.

If the lighting is such that you'll have to use long exposures, you might consider working with Polaroid 55 -- the print will be significantly overexposed if you expose for a good negative, but at least you'll be able to tell immediately if the subject moved during exposure, allowing an immediate reshoot.
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

Sounds like a job for a Leica M with an f/1.0 Noctilux to me. ;-)

I think your biggest problem, aside from the plexi (which is likely to be dirty or smudged), is the shooting distance, John. At 3-4 feet, I think I'd lean toward a shorter lens that's decent at wide apertures, and couple that with HP5+ pushed a stop or two. PN55, while advantageous from an instant-feedback standpoint, might be too slow, I fear. If you use available light only, my bet would be the plexi and wire mesh will likely disappear because of DOF limitations, only acting to soften the image. The advance testing you plan to do will provide that answer.

Terence

Regardless of whether you're talking turkeys or jailbirds, my experience shooting through glass, windscreens, airplane windows, etc. is to use a flexible lens shade and press it right up against the glass and trying to get a seal all the way around. This will greatly minimize the reflections from light sources on your side of the glass. Also, being this close should render the chicken wire almost completely unfocused.

If you can get a shade on the glass, then you can probably use strobes without too much problem unless there is a lot of internal scattering in the plexiglass. If it is dirty or scratched, there might be.

Lots of good ideas to consider---thank you all! I'm counting on the wire netting being out of focus. I'm requesting various institutions for permission as the subjects---uncorrupt corpses---are unvailable for comment!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White