Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can anyone post the various Fidelity filmholder model characteristics

Re: Can anyone post the various Fidelity filmholder model characteristics

Per Leigh's question in post #16, all the brands of film holders work well, and none need to be avoided... except the flimsy Mido and Mido II holders. (And there are people who will speak up for them, too.) Remember that none of these devices were designed as craptastic consumer "goods", rather they were professional tools built to last. Witness those wooden Graphic holders, some approaching 100 years old and still doing the job. There was an article in 'View Camera' magazine, c.1992 or 1996? that detailed a comparison test of the various holders... can't remember the results though. IIRC the Grafmatics held film the flattest, but anyone who is interested should track the article down.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Per Leigh's question in post #16, all the brands of film holders work well, and none need to be avoided... except the flimsy Mido and Mido II holders. (And there are people who will speak up for them, too.) Remember that none of these devices were designed as craptastic consumer "goods", rather they were professional tools built to last. Witness those wooden Graphic holders, some approaching 100 years old and still doing the job. There was an article in 'View Camera' magazine, c.1992 or 1996? that detailed a comparison test of the various holders... can't remember the results though. IIRC the Grafmatics held film the flattest, but anyone who is interested should track the article down.
    Add Tiltall to the list of avoidable. No locking ridge.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Add Tiltall to the list of avoidable. No locking ridge.
    The last version of the Riteway with the automatic darkslide feature will not work in any Linhof.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Here is a problem I have with Lisco Regal II holder's. This is a 4x5.

Unlike wire top handle DDS which are easy to grasp and pull out, these Lisco Regal II are a real problem for my arthritic fingers.

#1 shows both DS inserted White side out. #2 shows what happens next. I expose one film and then turn the DS Black side in. So far so good. Next of course, flip and reinsert the DDS for shot 2.

#3 shows how close together, the not so handy, handles are. When trying to pull the second DS it's very hard for me to do it, without moving the entire holder off the light trap. Bad idea, bad design.

Attachment 157082Attachment 157083Attachment 157084
    Randy I have many of those and the same/similar arthritic problem. I'm not sure I can explain this but my solution works for me. First I use two hands-one on the tabs (right) and one on the camera back (left) with my thumb gently pushing the GG in to make sure nothing moves. I grasp the two tabs with other hand with my thumb pushing on the one I want to stay put and my index and middle finger tips pulling out on the one I want removed. If they are not back to back tabs read push on the DS edge. When the one I want removed is dislodged, I then grab the tab with thumb and fingers and gently remove it. It works fine for me.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Randy I have many of those and the same/similar arthritic problem. I'm not sure I can explain this but my solution works for me. First I use two hands-one on the tabs (right) and one on the camera back (left) with my thumb gently pushing the GG in to make sure nothing moves. I grasp the two tabs with other hand with my thumb pushing on the one I want to stay put and my index and middle finger tips pulling out on the one I want removed. If they are not back to back tabs read push on the DS edge. When the one I want removed is dislodged, I then grab the tab with thumb and fingers and gently remove it. It works fine for me.
    Thanks Kurt, I do the same, it's the only way. My finger tips are bit numb also. Too many years using them as pyrometers on diesel startup. Touch each port to see if they all heat up evenly. Analog before those digital laser pyrometers.

I get it done, just slower than some.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    I grasp the two tabs with other hand with my thumb pushing on the one I want to stay put and my index and middle finger tips pulling out on the one I want removed.
    I do exactly the same. Thanks. (updating this thread)

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.