Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: X-ray film from Z&Z Medical

Goldman

Re: X-ray film from Z&Z Medical

I am from Canada, but when I checked the Z&Z medical, they quoted international shipment. It will cost me $24.77 US. I discover that most of the time shipping to Europe are even cheaper. You can pick the item and when you check the shopping cart it will ask you about the country, or just email your questions. The people from Z&Z Medical are very good and will answer you quickly.

Bill

I have looked into it before. Sadly, it's just not feasible. Shipped to Europe and with taxes and duties paid, it's barely cheaper than Fomapan 100.

I use both double-sided green and single-sided Ektascan. I prefer the look and feel of the double-sided. Ektascan is just too darn sharp for my liking. I also like how the double-sided green renders foliage lighter. But in the end, it's a personal choice! Have fun!

Goldman

I ordered both: single emulsion Ektaskan and Fuji green (Double emulsion) from Z&Z Medical. I read here about the type of developers for x-ray film. I am mixing D-76 Developer from raw chemicals and I am thinking to use less amount of hydroquinone. As soon as I get the x-ray film I will do the experiment and will post it.

Thanks
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by koraks View Post
    I have looked into it before. Sadly, it's just not feasible. Shipped to Europe and with taxes and duties paid, it's barely cheaper than Fomapan 100.
    I've been hunting for a good reliable X-ray film supplier from EU which would have even remotely cheap prices when combined with shipping. But haven't found any.. I'd love to order 18x24 sheets since I like using orthochromatic films and there doesn't seem to be many around. But hunt continues..

If you ever find one, let me know. I'm also in Finland :-)

18x24 is much more difficult to get than 8x10", which can be had easily and at reasonable costs on e.g. ebay. You may consider cutting down 8x10" to 18x24cm.

I haven't seen 8x10 either with in EU easily available... And actually places that sell to medical use don't even seem to carry that size here..

Ektascan is orthochromatic film. The blue films used to be called "regular" by some manufacturers...blue film is the opposite of ortho film, or panchro film in that it is mono-chromatic, although all the rest have been improved versions of mono-chromatic. So, blue film is sensitive to blue light more or less only. Ortho is sensitive to all colors except red, Panchro was correctly balanced for red at one time but has been over-sensitive to red for the last 30 years or so in order to get repeatable negative performance at any temperature of light, and higher speeds.

Yes, I use the single emulsion and recommend you do the same. It's great film. Many posts on this forum that explain why folks prefer the single emulsion for photographic purposes.