Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: X-ray film from Z&Z Medical

Re: X-ray film from Z&Z Medical

Will people who are having good success with it pls post some exposure and developing recommendations? I'm having a heck of a time with contrast on this film, both in exposing and developing it. Thanks! L

Hey Luis
    What have you tried?
    There are boo coo combinations that have been noted in these messages
    EI 80-125 should work. Too much contrast? stay away from paper developers
    Or use Dektol if not enough
    When I calibrated I used a liquid FILM developer from Freestyle, or Photowarehouse for ease of mixing and temp control
    The dilution I started out with was too dilute and I quickly adjusted.
    Gosh it's been a few years since Gene started us on this path, so I'm pretty sure my exact notes won't apply anymore
    Oh, and I used blue, with a box of green in the freexer- but the general guide should work

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Will people who are having good success with it pls post some exposure and developing recommendations? I'm having a heck of a time with contrast on this film, both in exposing and developing it. Thanks! L
    Read technical thread. Its only 400+ pages of actual answers to this.

Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    Read technical thread. Its only 400+ pages of actual answers to this.
    I have, all 400 plus pages. Seems most people are using the double emulsion film, not the EB/RA. L

Are you using Ektascan, CSG, or other green sensitive film? How are you developing? If you look through all the posts in the "x-ray technical" thread, I'm sure you'd get, at least, a couple dozen combinations to try out. That said, if you're using Ektascan I had a terrible time with contrast in this film when using rotary development. Then, I switched to tray development using this technique: Rodinal 1:100 @75F (I live in the desert southwest), after initial immersion I agitate for 1 min by lifting each side of the tray, one time, going around clockwise; then it sits until the next min and I agitate, again. I use flat bottom trays because I process both Ektascan and CSG and I do I 5 min pre-soak. Oh, and I shoot both films at EI 50 in bright mid-day level sunlight...don't get many clouds here in the desert.

Hope this helps lead you in a positive direction.

Using the Ektascan B/RA, developing in HC-110 1.5 oz to a gallon. Developing in hangers, so I can vary the agitation. I'm going to try when I get home changing my exposure techniques. Most of my LF work the past 30 years has been with Tri-X in HC-110 but I'm just venturing out to the X-ray realm. Thanks, L

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Ektascan single sided shot at 80 developed four at a time in 1 gallon tanks Rodinal 1:100 for nine minutes.Normal agitation. How are you printing? I only print carbon transfer and I really need more development to get to my ideal contrast and DR. It is really easy because you can watch it develop. To fat go to a higher dilution. Try Rodinal and make your life simple.

Or use pyrocat HD 1:1:100 or 2:2:100 for about 8 minutes as starting point. It is a nice film. Foma 100 is panchromatic, I think, this is not, therefore a different look, but not as much like dags or wet plate as blue xray films, this is at least green and maybe yellow/orange sensitive. Not red. Use dim red safelights and you can develop by inspection.

Using the Ektascan B/RA, developing in HC-110 1.5 oz to a gallon. Developing in hangers, so I can vary the agitation. I'm going to try when I get home changing my exposure techniques. Most of my LF work the past 30 years has been with Tri-X in HC-110 but I'm just venturing out to the X-ray realm. Thanks, L
    I tried hangers, too, but that wasn't successful for me. You may want to do a search on YouTube; there is a guy there who talks about developing green sensitive film with Obsidian Aqua (a pyro developer.) You might be able to adapt his technique to Ektascan. Oh, I tried HC-110 but Rodinal worked out best for me.

Good luck!

Obsidian Aqua + Ektascan = Razor Sharp

But seriously, take Jim's advice and use Rodinal or its variant like Blazinal (that's what I use up here in Canada). 20C, 1+100, tray, intermittent agitation. I can't give you a time as mine are loooooooong, for alt printing, such as carbon...