Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 Film holders that only open 90degrees?

8x10 Film holders that only open 90degrees?

Hi!

I'm new to 8x10, but not new to LF. I ordered 3 8x10, no-name holders off of the bay a few weeks ago.... the cheap, dirty holders all work... but the film loading flap at the bottom only opens to 90 degrees! Is this normal for 8x10? all my 4x5 film flaps open to a completely flat 180degrees.

Since the flap doesn't open all the way, I have to bend the film to fit over the flap and under the guide-rails. One my paper negative test shots, the back of the paper got scratched up as it rubbed over the protruding flap... and now I dont want to risk damaging my $x/sheet film like this...

is this normal for 8x10??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails holderQuestion.jpg  

Re: 8x10 Film holders that only open 90degrees?

They should open all the way... Is there tape on the flap for the hinge??? You might have to remove the flap, clean underneath, and re-tape the hinge... Might be debris preventing it from fully opening...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    They should open all the way... Is there tape on the flap for the hinge??? You might have to remove the flap, clean underneath, and re-tape the hinge... Might be debris preventing it from fully opening...

Steve K
    Yeah, it looks like something funny is going on with the hinge tape. They need to open all the way to load your film. I'd suggest carefully removing the hinge tape and flaps---the thin wood flaps are very fragile and easily broken---give them a good cleaning and re-taping with book binder's tape. You could use gaffer's tape although gaffer's will also make the flaps stand up at 90 deg. but is flexible enough that you can hold the flap flat for loading film (it gets more flexible with experience)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Thanks for the feedback

This flap is fully rigid (metal or aluminum?) with a hard stop at 90.... I'm not sure I'll be able to get it off without aggressive tool work... And bending...

Sounds like maybe it's better to just order some newer fidelity holders... And they will open all the way

Thanks!

You don't have to slide the film all the way in the long way. Completely open the darkslide, arc the film directly over the holder, slip one long edge under the lips then the other edge and slip the film the last bit under the far end lip.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Walden View Post
    You don't have to slide the film all the way in the long way. Completely open the darkslide, arc the film directly over the holder, slip one long edge under the lips then the other edge and slip the film the last bit under the far end lip.
    Do all this in the dark of course!

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Yes, it is going to be awkward to load and more so when it comes time to unload! These must be very specialized holders---I wonder, does the locking rib at the top jive with your camera back?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Not normal. I have some that are quite stiff, and don't lie back flat. I have to hold it back with a finger while slipping in the film.

they've gotta open further than this. You should try re-taping with either black gaffers tape or bookbinders tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Chauncey Walden View Post

This is the way I load all film 8x10 and larger film regardless of the type of end flap. It is much easier said than done. Just be sure to pull the dark slide far enough out as to clear the entire negative area.