Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital Submissions

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Digital Submissions

Since editors and curators started accepting digital files, I've been sending out web addresses and cds full of jpegs, depending on what's asked for. It definitely beats trying to maintain slide pages, and trying to get them back.

But a friend just gave me a better idea. She asked if I'd design and make for her a pdf portfolio that would basically act like a little self-contained website on a disk. She got the idea from a painter who's been doing this succesfully for a while now. I'm doing one for my friend and one for myself, and have decided to offer the service to any artists who'd like it done for them.

version #1 of mine can be seen here: www.paulraphaelson.com/downloads/portfolio.pdf

Some places have very specific rules for what they'll accept, but for everyone else, this seems like a nicer way to introduce your work. It can be distributed by web link or by cd (some people just like it when you send them stuff).

Anyone have experience sending out this kind of thing?

Digital Submissions

For Mac, PC, or UNIX? ;-)

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Digital Submissions

PDF should be platform agnostic. You can burn a hybrid disk that can be read by anything.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Digital Submissions

You could put her in contact with Brooks Jensen at LensWork. He put his images on his website as PDF "books".
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Digital Submissions

Tried your link. I am using mozilla and it freezes the browser.....

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Digital Submissions

hmmm .... i might have been in the middle of updating it when you tried the link. can't think of any other way a pdf file coulc freeze a browser. if you try again and it doesn't work please let me know ... i'll have some sleuthing to do.

Digital Submissions

Which version Jorge? I'm using 1.7.3 & it seems OK.

Digital Submissions

Downloaded OK using Safari in Mac OSX. The opening page states use command L for Mac navigation features, this only causes the page to rotate. Using OSX 10.3.9 with Preview as standard.

Digital Submissions

Did not work for me, I think I am using 1.7.8 but the pdf file opens on a browser window not in Acrobat reader....

In any case, seems like a good idea Paul, wish you success with it.... :-)

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Digital Submissions

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I was going under the wrong assumption that people would be viewing it with some flavor of acrobat.

It drives me crazy that browsers now display pdf files ... I don't think they do a good job of it. I wish I could turn that feature off in Safari, but it now insists on displaying the file unless I jump through some hoops each time.

At any rate, the real idea would be to give these to people on a CD. Which might make it possible to get the file open in acrobat (which takes advantage of more of the file's features, like opening in full screen mode).