I am interested in some feedback, comments, insights on injet printers that I am looking into. I know there are computer forums, but I would like to get feedback from photographers, not computer nerds. I intend to do mainly color, mainly on glossy paper, relatively small (4x5 "contact" prints to possibly 8x10). I have the following set-up so far:

At hand: Mac G5, LCD monitor, Nikon Coolscan 4000ED, Photoshop CS.
In the mail: Epson 4990 Pro (with Monaco EZcolor 2.6) flatbed scanner.
On the list: Monaco Optix spider plus transparency target.
Agonizing: Epson R1800 (2400???), Canon i9900.

I saw a very informative review on the R1800 vs others under
http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Epson%20R1800/page_1.htm but wonder about real life experience from other people. Second, I also wonder about i-ink system from inkrepublic. There are rumours about an Epson 2400 as a replacement for the 2200 with a new generation inkset.

The pros and cons of the two printers seem to be:
- Canon easier to use (If I'm willing to take the color management plunge, then I am willing to deal with a bit more intricate operation).
- Canon dye (?) ink with more vivid colors, but less archival, vs tried-and-true durable ultrachrome pigment ink from Epson with a bit less punch.
- More clogging problems with the Epson. True?
- Epson is a mainstay in the printing world with many thrid party products (e.g., ink systems), vs. Canon being more peripherally in the printing business.
- Canon has no black ink, no K cartridge: problems with "colored" blacks? Should be able to address that with color management.
- Differences in resolution seem to be rather of engineering interest, but have little effect on the image under normal viewing condition.

I think I am leaning a bit more towards the Epson R1800, but did I miss something?

As always, thanks for your time and always informed opinions.

Best wishes