Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pelican vs SKB; opinions?

Re: Pelican vs SKB; opinions?

I recommend pelican over SKB. The plastic just doesn't seem as durable to me, as mentioned by other posters. Another issue I've experience (I own a 1650 pelican and once owned an SKB ~2217 or similar that housed my deardorff) is the foam seems to be of a lower quality and lost its shape under weight quicker. I now opt to buy the velcro inserts in all my pelicans (including those owned by my boss I maintain and actively fly a few dozen times a year with about 15 cases). One final issue, which I've experience with many off-brand cases, though I never flew the SKB, is the air pressure equalizer isn't as effective and the case becomes unopenable for a few hours without serious prying due to suction while under a plane. I would have those fears with the SKB, but have never experience it with any pelican model.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Thank you; more pluses and minuses to consider.
    The wheel mod is here: http://www.davidfearn.com/blog/2013/...1510-wheel-mod

Is there any limit to what can be put in the Peli case? If I bring my entire lighting kit, it's 70 pounds, can the 1615 handle that weight? Maybe having a second smaller case is better?
    double post here but to specifically answer this, my 1650 has 55 pounds in it and my 1510 has 44 pounds. I have carried both up stairs by the telescoping pulley many many times with no effect on the case. I would say if it fits, it's fine. The 1650 has four locks, no issue on failures and I also ziptie them and leave extras for the TSA to replace, they usually do...

Thanks, Grant; I had the chance to try out the 1615 in-store; I brought my lighting gear with me, but I didn't buy the 1615, even at a discounted price.
    While the plastic shell seems like it would hold up well enough with the load, the telescoping handle was too flexible and not confidence-inspiring.
    The second reason I balked at buying the 1615 is the dividers (I never buy cases with foam); Pelican cheaped-out with their dividers, making them thin, soft foam-filled and flimsy.

The best dividers I've seen are from Lightware cases, but those don't have wheels. I may end up getting one anyway and using a wheeled cart.
    But it doesn't solve the question of what to do if flying with such gear; the Lightware cases are more vulnerable to theft than a padlocked Peli.

Don't buy a Pelican or SKB case with dividers. Buy the empty case and buy dividers from TrekPak. They're FAR superior to any divider system I've ever worked with other than the rigid dividers in my ANCIENT LowePro Pro Roller 3 (current production LowePro dividers aren't nearly as good).

And what you found with the telescoping handle is part of why two smaller cases works better (so neither one ends up as heavy). The only handle I like is, again, on my ancient ProRoller 3 because it's made of aluminum rather than plastic.

I've so far been using two smaller cases with some success.
    Neither has wheels and I keep worrying I'll forget some small accessory, splitting things in two as I am.
    Thanks for the Trek-Pak recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I've so far been using two smaller cases with some success.
    Neither has wheels and I keep worrying I'll forget some small accessory, splitting things in two as I am.
    Thanks for the Trek-Pak recommendation.
    Generally, if everything has a specific spot in the case and the spots are organized to see if something is missing, you won't leave stuff behind. The other trick is to leave the cases ready to travel at all times if possible. I get back from a shoot, unpack everything to see if anything needs cleaned, supplies replenished, etc, and then immediately pack it up again and store it packed and ready to go. This pays off at times like I had at the beginning of November when I got a text to notify me of a shoot 33 minutes before the shoot with a 30 minute drive time. I made it there bang on the minute I was needed because I just had to hustle to get the lighting cases and the camera cases into the car and I knew I had everything. Once I arrived, by having everything exactly in the same place it always is, I was able to set up quickly and in an organized fashion. Kept me looking like I knew what the hell I was doing even though I was way behind the power curve due to someone else's oversight.

Thanks again, appreciated. I do the same wrt keeping gear ready and organized.
    But sometimes I'll take out a light meter for something else and forget to put it back right away.