Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manufacturer - 16 1/2 in. Red Dot Artar?

Manufacturer - 16 1/2 in. Red Dot Artar?

I've just received the above lens from a dealer minutes ago. This was identified as being a Schneider Red Dot Artar, but there is nothing on the lens to indicate this. The lens is mounted in an Ilex shutter. The lettering around the front element says nothing other than Apochromat Artar 16 1/2 in. f:9.5 No. 068. I guess I was assuming that if this were actually sourced from Schneider, it would have clearly stated as such on the lens itself. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Ed

Re: Manufacturer - 16 1/2 in. Red Dot Artar?

Does it have - Goerz Am Opt Co??

That's the weird thing about this, Bob! There is absolutely nothing else on this lens other than what I mentioned above. For what it's worth, the No. 068 is also on the rear element. Otherwise, there is nothing identifying the manufacturer.

I took a photo with my phone, but haven't found a good way to get the picture transferred to the computer for pasting in here.

Ed

Try emailing it to yourself .

Good suggestion! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Artar.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	159922

At any rate, the attached image should illustrate what I'm talking about.

Ed

I have notes on four Red Dot Artars seen on ebay plus one that I own that have three digit serial numbers all starting with "zero", various focal lengths from 4 to 42 inches. They are all marked on the front bezel "Apochromat Artar" with a red dot between these two words, the focal length (in inches), the f/ and the serial number (as "NO. 0XX"). No maker, though there is room on the bezel. Some were marked "Schneider Corporation of America" on the circumference. Some were also marked "Made in USA" on the barrel. The one I own is an 8 1/4 inch mounted in a No. 1 Copal shutter. It's not marked "Schneider Corporation of America" but the geometry of the front and rear cells is such that there's not really room to do so.

Serial numbers recorded are: 015, 023, 030, 032 and 090. To be clear, none were seen to be marked "Made in Switzerland". Also I haven't seen any Dagors with three digit serial numbers.

Make what you will of all this!

David (Who's something of a C.P. Goerz Am. Opt. Co./ Goerz Optical Co., Inc. freak)

Appreciate, David! I have thoroughly checked the barrel, front and back, and there is nothing of any sort on the lens other than what I have shown. It seems to me that there's plenty of room for the maker's name to go on the bezel. Are you suggesting that this might be an unmarked Schneider?

Looks like a fine lens I wouldn't worry about it. I know Goerz gave 2-3 digit serial # to some of their pre-production lenses before they made a run. Maybe Schneider did also. I had an uncoated 24" RD Artar Ser #C-10 and a 6 1/2" WA Golden Dagor Ser #C-3 both of which I bought from Eddie Bolzetsian in the late 1980's. Both mounted by him. Sold both of them a long time ago, wish I hadn't.

Quote Originally Posted by EdC View Post
    Appreciate, David! I have thoroughly checked the barrel, front and back, and there is nothing of any sort on the lens other than what I have shown. It seems to me that there's plenty of room for the maker's name to go on the bezel. Are you suggesting that this might be an unmarked Schneider?
    I'd be confident that your lens dates from the time of the acquisition of Goerz Optical Co. from Kollmorgen by Schneider Corporation of America. I don't know where it was made, based on some of the examples I've seen being marked "Made in USA" and none being marked as made in Switzerland, my hunch is that yours was made in USA.

I sometimes wonder if fifty years ago the makers of things like this had known that one day there would be something called the internet where people would try to parse/dissect/figure out, discuss and argue over things like serial numbers and other markings, they would have been more careful about consistency and leaving readily available written records about why they did what they did (writing this tongue-in-cheek).

What were those three digit serial numbers about anyway?

David

Thanks, Luis! Lenses aren't cheap, and I was a bit nervous about whether or not this was as advertised. I have a 7x17 that I want to get in to service, and this is part of that process.

Also, thanks to David for your information. That is reassuring. Speaking tongue in cheek as well, what makes you think that the lens makers didn't foresee this, and decided to come up with a way to drive us all crazy with their inconsistency and mysterious marking systems? There we go! A photographic conspiracy, right?

Anyhow, will thoroughly go over this lens this evening under a strong light. I'm fussy about condition.

Thanks to all for the feedback!

Ed