Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quart Ziploc no longer for 4x5 holders

Jim Sidinger

Quart Ziploc no longer for 4x5 holders

Just found out that the quart Ziploc bags I had been using for my Fidelity 4x5 holders have been shrunk to a size which will no longer close w/ holder inside. Size on box now listed now as 7" x 7 7/16".

This may be 'common knowledge' by now but...
    Jim

Re: Quart Ziploc no longer for 4x5 holders

What was the original dimension of the quart bags? They were the great size!

Would a 6"x8" or 6"x9" bag do? There is always these:

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...able-Poly-Bags

At a 1000 bags a carton, you can get the 2mil and replace them often, rather than buying the heavier 4mil.

I have been thinking of similar bags for 8x10 holders...12"x15" in the heavier weight. They also have some padded anti-static bags that are not recloseable that I have used for 8x10 and would consider for 11x14. There is a lot of square inches of darkslides to protect!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Vaughn,
    I use Hefty 2.5 gallon jumbo sliders (14-3/8"x16") from the supermarket. They fit four 8x10 holders nicely but seem to last longer with three in situ.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I am a retiree of SC Johnson that makes and markets Ziploc, and will check the Company Store re the revised size of the Quart bags. However, I use mostly the 2 quart Marinade bags which hold four 4x5 holders nicely. ....
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

The bags that hold photo paper also work nicely as well--and as a bonus are relatively light tight .

Using zip opening anti-static bags don't build up a static charge on the darkslide, so tend to not attract fine dust better than standard bags...

Steve K

Jim Sidinger

Just measured. Old bag approx 7 7/8" tall to point where bag seals. New bag approx 7 3/8" to same point. Both old & new 7" wide.
    My Fidelity holders are approx. 7 1/2" x 4 3/4".

I know that I will find alternatives, just wanted to let folks know of the change so they don't go out - like I did - and buy bulk quantities only to find they don't work. Although the good news is that I'm set to store leftover food for YEARS!

A question for another forum: If they held a quart before and now they are smaller, do they still hold a quart? Or are they now the 2"x4" of the bagging industry? :>)
    Jim

Metric quarts are smaller...
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I've got the pink ones like Vaughn suggests. Bought a big pack of them on Ebay and I'm sure it will take a lifetime to go through them. They last well because you generally protect film holders from abuse anyways. I then put the pink bagged 4x5 film holders into either my camera bag or a Cabelas/Walmart/Plano $5 ammo case. The ones I use for 8x10 are cheaper than food bags but I don't use them for food because I don't know exactly what the pink conductive stuff is.

Jim Sidinger

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    ...The ones I use for 8x10 are cheaper than food bags but I don't use them for food because I don't know exactly what the pink conductive stuff is.
    Maybe it's harmless "Pink Slime". ;>)