Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restoring An Older Enlarger?

Restoring An Older Enlarger?

Hello All;

Second post.

I just got an Durst 138 and am wondering if anyone has any tips, tricks, secrets, or practical experience on how to restore a older enlarger.

Some questions?

What do you do with worn parts that use to be black but are now silver? Sharpie? Matte Black Spray Paint?

Proper machine oil? Oil to avoid?, The unit is obviously very well made and well designed so I don't think any mods are needed just yet.

Condenser cleaning? Rust spots? General alignment tips?

I think you get the idea. I know much of this is common sense but I think the internet is great in this area: If you are willing to share, I am willing to listen!

Again, any and all tips welcome and appreciated.

Re: Restoring An Older Enlarger?

Pls post some photos of it so we can see just how old it is. Won't make a difference probably, but would be nice to know. I'd use a Sharpie for small areas, and black spray paint for larger ones. I think any light weight machine oil is fine. DO NOT UNDO the pulley cover or it will get you. There are several threads that answer many of your questions, you just need to search on this site. If you PM me your Email, I'll send you some manuals. L

Hello and thanks

It is this exact enlarger without the white dangling bits.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=durst...xZLiQJRMzxM%3A

It also has the filter drawer where you can load in 9 filters (12x12 cm) and slide them in and out as needed for VC printing or Colour Correction.

Curtis

We all know what a 138 looks like. I've had several over the years and presently have an SM-183. The idea was for you to post photos of YOUR enlarger and maybe we can make some suggestions. L

Curtis,

The Durst 138 enlarger and its variants have had a long history and have been manufactured for a long time. Thus due to running changes with updates in the design and different features, and specifications, what I have (S-45 Special with point source) may be considerably different than those Luis had, and others in this community have or had.

They are well build robust machines designed to handle commercial photo lab use, but also they were extremely modular, and therefore while they may look like another there may be significant differences.

Congratulations on getting a fine enlarger and welcome to the Big Durst Enlarger Owners Club...

Hope that helps,

Len

While not a 138 I've restored older Durst enlargers, stripping them down completely, treating any rust parts before re-spraying with primer and then top coat. It's quite satisying when they are completed, I've just restored an old early 1950's Johnson V45 enlarger which I re-assembled over the weekend, and I have a nice coated Dallmeyer 6" enlarger lens to go with it, although bought later it's factory fitted to a Johnson lens board.

Things like condensers can be carefully washed, then I use glass cleaner (Nilglass). There's rarely alignment issues with Dursts and in fact there's no adjustment with most models, I can't speak for the 138. With De Vere's alignment is done by adjusting the base-board where it sits on its frame.

Have fun

Ian

Drew Wiley

Oh gosh. I've completely restored several of them to like-new condition, plus turned them into "hot-rods" fancier than they were to begin with. What I recommend is taking this step-by-step, and asking just one specific category of restoration at a time. These enlargers were superbly built and need to be a labor of love if you want to get them back into original shape. But in general, avoid ordinary spray paint. I have used a superior product called Hammerite that closely replicates the original paint. Small black areas can simply be touched up with a Sharpie pen. It helps to have some stainless steel polish on hand. Download an old owner's manual so you see what screws correct what. There are screws to lock other screws - all kinds of built-in potential maintenance corrections. And it's probably wise to consider the chassis, the light head, and the carrier as independent subjects, so you can take things a step at a time.

Hammerite was often the original paint used on enlargers and some cameras after WWII, older De Veres for instance, and early Dursts. These days it's best used from a spray can, it's very slow drying and very prone to run if applied too thickly so care is needed but the results are worth while. I often warm parts before spraying depending on the ambient temperature, expect a day or longer before it's no longer slightly tacky this time of year - it's quite different to cellulose paints in spray cans.

There's now a smooth version which doesn't give the hammer finish so you have a choice of colours and finish, all have good anti rust properties. One can was sufficient to repaint my Johnson V45 and I've some left over, a Durst 138 shouldn't be much different.

Ian

Drew Wiley

Agreed. Never use Hammerite in a cold or damp room, and without ventilation. Don't overspray. And be aware that it slowly outgasses over many weeks, and that those fumes are really bad for photographic materials as well as your lungs. But it's tough and not likely to flake off like cheap paint.

Mine is all electric. I did have to make a few mechanical repairs but the restoration was mostly an electrical project. It still might make for interesting reading.

I noticed most all the pictures are gone from the thread. Too bad because I am a photographer, not a writer, so I tend to tell stories with pictures.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ht=durst+l1840